- SI.com produced its college football preview today and five of the site's writers predicted a BCS bowl for Notre Dame (three said Fiesta, one Sugar, one Orange) ... two writers selected South Florida as their surprise team for 2011 ... the SI.com preseason All-America squad includes Notre Dame's Harrison Smith as one of the safeties ... SI's Stewart Mandel predicts Notre Dame will end up playing Wisconsin in the Fiesta Bowl.
- Guests at the Notre Dame Football Kickoff luncheon Friday (Jack Nolan is the host) are Jeff Rea (president of the Chamber of Commerce of St. Joseph County), Rob DeCleene (director of the South Bend/Mishawka Area Convention and Visitors Bureau), Harvey Foster Award winner and former Irish swimmer Haley Scott DeMaria, Irish offensive line coach Ed Warinner, Irish offensive linemen Trevor Robinson and Braxston Cave and head coach Brian Kelly.
- BIG EAST Conference commissioner John Marinatto will be in attendance at the Notre Dame-USF game Saturday.
- There will be a pre-game flyover at the Notre Dame-USF game Saturday by four USAF E/A-18 Growlers.
- Presentations at the Notre Dame-USF game Saturday include:
*Presidential Team Irish Award - Morris Inn Housekeeping and Maintenance team
*Introduction of University provost Tom Burish and Beth Holtz highlighting Lou and Beth Holtz as inaugural University research ambassadors for cancer research.
*Introduction of men's basketball National Coach of the Year honoree Mike Brey and USA men's basketball World University Games player Tim Abromaitis.
*Alumni Association presentation of Harvey Foster Award to former Irish swimmer Haley Scott DeMaria.
*Notre Dame faculty recognition - John Copeland Nagle, John N. Matthews Professor of Law.
- The official Notre Dame football postgame show will again be broadcast live following every Notre Dame game on WSBT-AM News Radio 960 and Sunny 101.5 FM, and televised live on und.com ... the show is hosted by Jack Nolan and Irish All-Americans Reggie Brooks and Mirko Jurkovic ... the televised version of the show on UND.com also features game highlights.
- The 2011 Notre Dame Football Replay (home games only) will be shown on 21 affiliates (including Direct TV, YES Network, Comcast SportsNet Chicago, NESN and Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) and reach more than 69 million homes ... Inside Notre Dame Football is on 25 affiliates and in 71 million homes (all the same major carriers) ... both networks are the largest in the country.
- The U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) released its preseason cross country top 25 on Tuesday, and has the Notre Dame men's team ranked 23rd to open the upcoming 2011 season ... the Irish, who finished 25th in the final poll last season, are one of six BIG EAST teams to receive a ranking in the top 30 ... the Irish men were ranked fourth in the Great Lakes Region to open the season, tops among the BIG EAST teams that compete in the region ... the Irish women's squad was ranked sixth in the region to open the year.
- Two former Notre Dame men's soccer players will be competing for the United Soccer Leagues (USL) PRO title this Saturday ... Jack Traynor and his Orlando City squad will play host to Harrisburg City (Pa.), which features Philip Tuttle ... the match is slated for a 7:00 p.m. (ET) start inside the Florida Citrus Bowl ... the game will be aired live on Fox Soccer Channel.
- The 2011 NCAA national runner-up women's basketball team is poised to take on representatives from each of the nation's top six conferences, and will play up to 19 regular-season games against teams that qualified for postseason play last year (including 16 NCAA Championship qualifiers and four NCAA Elite Eight participants) as part of a demanding 2011-12 schedule that was released Thursday ... what's more, Notre Dame is in position to make at least 11 national or regional television appearances in 2011-12, highlighted by a second consecutive CBS matchup with BIG EAST Conference rival Connecticut (Jan. 7 at Purcell Pavilion) and six games on the ESPN family of networks, three of which are slated as part of ESPN's Big Monday lineup.
- The men's basketball team will play 17 nationally-televised games during the upcoming season ... the slate also features two BIG EAST matchups against defending national champion Connecticut and contests against 12 teams that played in the 68-team NCAA tournament field in 2011 ... Notre Dame also will begin the season riding a 19-game home win streak at Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center ... Notre Dame's 17 television appearances include 16 on ESPN's family of network and one on CBS.