Recently in Cross Country Category
- Lauren Bohaboy scored twice, and Jessica Schuveiller added a goal and an assist as Notre Dame blanked Connecticut, 3-0 in BIG EAST Conference women's soccer action on a cold and blustery Friday night before a crowd of 1,651 at Notre Dame's Alumni Stadium and a national television audience on ESPNU ... it was the second shutout of the season for the Fighting Irish, and their first since a season-opening 2-0 win over Wisconsin on Aug. 19, also at Alumni Stadium ... Schuveiller and Bohaboy scored 40 seconds apart midway through the first half to stake Notre Dame to a lead it would never relinquish ... Bohaboy then added a key insurance tally less than five minutes into the second half, converting a cross from Schuveiller, with Melissa Henderson setting up both of the freshman's goals on the night. - Battling weather and 14 ranked foes between the two blue races, the women's and men's cross country squads placed fifth and 11th, respectively, Friday at the 56th annual Notre Dame Invitational ... runners fought through tough conditions all day, as temperatures dipped into the high 40s and winds blew at 20-30 MPH, with top gusts reaching 40 MPH and above ... Jessica Rydberg paced the Irish women for the third meet in a row, placing 25th out of 225 runners in the women's 5K blue race to help Notre Dame to a fifth-place finish out of 28 teams ... on the men's side, the 23rd-ranked Irish finished 11th out of 26 teams ... J.P. Malette paced Notre Dame, placing 41st in 24:51. - The Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) has announced its 43-game television schedule for the 2011-12 season and Notre Dame is scheduled to appear 11 times with six games carried by Comcast Television and five on the CBS Sports Network ... Versus, which will become NBC Sports Network in January, has not yet announced its college hockey schedule ... Notre Dame will appear on television five times before the Christmas break and six times in the second half of the season according to the schedule released Friday. - The football team made a brief stop at Ross-Ade Stadium in West Lafayette, Ind., about 8:30 p.m. Friday - but cold and windy conditions meant Brian Kelly and his team spent only about five minutes there, taking a quick look at the locker room and the field before heading to their local hotel ... the Notre Dame team traveled over to Lafayette Central Catholic High School at 10:45 a.m. today for a 45-minute walk-thru ... it's sunny and breezy in Lafayette today, with a high of 55 degrees expected - with temperatures expected to dip into the low 40s by game's end this evening (there's only a 10 percent chance of rain today).
- The women's golf team started the 2011-12 campaign on Monday afternoon by shooting an opening-round mark of 14-over par 302 for 18 holes at the Golfweek Conference Challenge ... the event is being played at the par-72, 6,236-yard Tom Fazio course at the Red Sky Golf Club in Wolcott, Colo. ... Notre Dame will enter Tuesday's 18 holes tied with Minnesota and trail first-round leader UC-Davis by eight strokes as the Aggies fired a first-day mark of six-over par 294 ... individually, the Irish were led by Ashley Armstrong, who got her collegiate career off to a fast start by firing a one-over par 73 ... she is tied for 10th after 18 holes and trails three players - Natalie Gleadoll of Mississippi, Kaitlin Higginbotham of Coastal Carolina and Grace Na of Pepperdine - by four strokes as that threesome carded three-under par marks of 69. - The Joyce Athletics Grants-in-Aid program hosted former Secretary of State and 1975 Notre Dame graduate Dr. Condoleezza Rice for its annual recognition weekend Sept.17-18 ... she served as the keynote speaker for the dinner Friday evening at Jordan Hall of Science, where she spoke about the unique role Notre Dame plays in educating student-athletes and the importance of integrity in intercollegiate athletics ... one of the highlights of the evening occurred when women's basketball point guard, Skylar Diggins presented Dr. Rice with an autographed 2011 Women's Final Four jersey ... she joined the Joyce Grants-in-Aid members for their on-field recognition and thanked them for generously providing scholarship dollars for Irish student-athletes. - A pair of men's soccer players have garnered BIG EAST accolades for their roles in helping the Fighting Irish post two victories over the weekend ... Grant Van De Casteele was named the BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Week, while Adam Mena was selected to the league's weekly honor roll ... Mena, who also was named to the College Soccer News national team of the week, had a hand in all three Irish goals over the weekend ... Van De Casteele, a central defender, was a key part of an Irish defense that allowed just one goal in 181 minutes of play in the wins over the Wolverines and Spartans ... after giving up a goal 39 seconds into the Michigan match, Notre Dame did not allow another score in the final 180:21 of the weekend. - Look for ice to be made in Notre Dame's new Compton Family Ice Arena this week. - The New York Times featured an interesting piece Monday that measured the number of college football fans per program based on television markets ... Notre Dame ranked third in this numerical exercise, with 2,261,738 fans - behind Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State and ahead of Texas, Texas A&M, Auburn, Alabama, Florida and Clemson. The study suggested the top markets for numbers of Notre Dame fans are (in order) New York, Chicago, Boston, South Bend, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Washington, Indianapolis, St. Louis and Detroit. - Quarterback Dayne Crist was one of 22 student-athletes named to the 2011 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team, Allstate and the AFCA announced Tuesday ... in its 20th year, college football's pre-eminent community service award recognizes the extra efforts made by college football players and student support staff off the field ... two 11-member teams comprise the Good Works Team ... Crist has helped organize a fundraiser on Notre Dame's campus each of the past three years to benefit St. Baldrick's Foundation, a charity that raises money for childhood cancer research ... in his three years involved with the fundraiser, he has helped the group raise approximately $100,000 for the charity ... Crist has also read to grade school children at St. Joseph's Grade School and visited with patients at St. Joseph's Medical Center ... Crist is the sixth Notre Dame football player selected to the Good Works Team since 1999 ... safety Tom Zbikowski was named to the 2007 team, offensive lineman Bob Morton was selected for the 2006 squad,linebacker Derek Curry was chosen for the 2004 team, linebacker Courtney Watson was named to the 2003 team and defensive end Grant Irons was the first Notre Dame player to be honored in 1999. - Here are Brian Kelly comments from his media teleconference today: "That's where we started this journey, to begin with recruiting on defense, and playing a tougher style of football. And to do that, you've got to be able to control the line of scrimmage. You also have to do it physically - you have to develop in the weight room." "I like the way we play the game, other than we get sloppy. The big picture looks really good for me, and the big picture starts with developing a toughness, a mentality, both on the offensive and defensive line. We're seeing that through how we defend the run, how we've been able to run the ball more effectively." "You can't come to practice now that you've won a game and feel as though, okay, you've arrived, because we certainly haven't. There are a lot of things we need to get better at if we're going to be a consistent winner." "I think we had 11 scouts in and they said that physically he (Aaron Lynch) looks like an NFL player right now. He's got a lot of work to do as it relates to all the other little things that come with being a great player. But he's extremely gifted and he's relentless when it comes to rushing the quarterback." "We demand a physical toughness from our football payers. And you get what you demand relative to physical toughness." "If you put up the stats of the first three games and said pick which game they won, I don't know that you would pick this one (Michigan State)." "We have not been infected with success yet. I'll know when that happens." "I always thought it to be a great weakness within your program when you had to play freshmen. Not when they run as fast as George Atkinson or are as physical as Aaron Lynch. This group (of freshmen) was physically ready to compete right away." - Cross country runner Jessica Rydberg has been named BIG EAST Cross Country Athlete of the Week ... Rydberg won the women's 5K at the National Catholic Championships last Friday ... her time (17:16) was the fastest since Notre Dame's JoAnna Deeter ran 16:52 in 1999 ... it was also the third-fastest time in the meet's history ... she was the ninth straight Notre Dame women's runner to win the meet ... the Pinetop, Ariz., product beat out 271 other women in the race, and helped lead the Irish to the team title over 32 other teams. - Notre Dame ranks among the top three NCAA Division I institutions in the country in combining athletic and academic achievement, according to the annual rankings released today by the National Collegiate Scouting Association in Chicago ... Notre Dame ranked third among NCAA Division I universities and fifth overall in the annual NCSA Collegiate Power Rankings, trailing only Duke and Stanford in the Division I standings ... the NCSA Collegiate Power Rankings assess the academic and athletics standards of all NCAA and NAIA athletic programs across the country ... in the 2011 ratings, Notre Dame finished 18th in athletics, 19th in academic rank and second in NCAA graduation rank, for an average 13.0 power ranking ... this marks the seventh straight year Notre Dame has finished fifth or better in the NCSA rankings ... here are Division I standings from those seven years: 2011: 1. Duke 7.0, 2. Stanford 12.0, 3. Notre Dame 13.0
2010: 1. Stanford 9.33, 2. Princeton 12.33 ... 5. Notre Dame 25.66
2009: 1. Stanford 8.66, 2. Princeton 15.0 ... 4. (tie) Notre Dame and Harvard 23.33
2008: 1. Stanford 10.66, 2. Duke 14.66 ... 5. Notre Dame 23.66
2007: 1. Duke 11.66, 2. Notre Dame 18.33
2006: 1. Duke 11.33, 2. Stanford 13.0, 3. Notre Dame 15.0
2005: 1. Duke 8.66, 2. Stanford 13.0 ... 5. Notre Dame 22.33
- Former Irish football standout Jerome Bettis joined the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame Thursday night in Novi, Mich., with Notre Dame athletics administrators Bill Scholl, John Heisler and Josh Berlo in attendance ... among the previous hall of famers with Notre Damec onnections inducted have been George Gipp (1957), Gus Dorais (1958), Leon Hart (1997) and Bill Laimbeer (1999), - Our baseball team played host to Michigan State this morning at at Eck Baseball Stadium on the Notre Dame campus. - A golden goal in the first minute of overtime from Adam Mena gave the 16th-ranked men's soccer team a 2-1 triumph of Michigan on Friday evening at Alumni Stadium ... Mena scored both Irish goals on the evening and Greg Klazura assisted on each tally. - Kristen Dealy became the eighth player in Notre Dame volleyball history to record 1,000 kills and 1,000 digs in a career with a 13-kill effort in a 3-1 win Friday evening over Western Michigan in Madison, Wis. ... Dealy hit .306 with 21 digs, one ace and a solo block for the Irish ... entering the contest, Dealy had 995 kills and 1,042 digs ... her 1,000th kill came in the second set to make her the first Irish player to join the 1,000-1,000 club since Adrianna Stasiuk did so in 2007. - Louisville's Erin Yenney scored the lone goal of the match in the 56th minute and the Cardinals made it stand, upsetting the Irish women's soccer team, 1-0, Friday night before a crowd of 2,501 fans at Alumni Stadium ... the loss was the first for the Fighting Irish in BIG EAST regular-season action since Sept. 30, 2005 (a 4-1 defeat at Marquette), snapping a 62-match unbeaten streak in the process. - The men's tennis squad won five doubles contests and four singles matches on day one of the season-opening Illini Invitational in Chicago, Ill. ... Notre Dame's doubles tandems went 5-3 on day one with victories over teams from Texas and Alabama ... the Irish were a combined 4-0 in doubles against the Crimson Tide. - Jessica Rydberg won the women's 5K race and Martin Grady finished second in the men's five-mile race to power the Notre Dame women's and men's cross country squads to a pair of victories at the 32nd annual National Catholic Championships on Friday afternoon at the Notre Dame Cross Country Course ... Rydberg's time (17:16) was the fastest since Notre Dame's JoAnna Deeter ran 16:52 in 1999 ... it's also the third-fastest time in the meet's history ... she is the ninth straight Notre Dame women's runner to win the meet ... the Irish women have won 18 times out of the last 20 years, including each of the last 10 ... the men won for the third straight year and for the 20th time in the last 24 years. - Former Notre Dame Bengal Bout champion Mike Lee won a unanimous four-round decision Friday night over Jacob Stiers of Kansas City, Kan., in front of 3,296 fans at Purcell Pavilion ... Lee is now 7-0 in is professional career ... the event benefited both the Ara Parseghian Medical Research Foundation and the Robinson Community Learning Center. - Lou's Lads, the organization of former Notre Dame football players who played under Lou Holtz, presented its first scholarship on Friday night at a dinner at the Gillespie Conference Center in South Bend to current Notre Dame senior Paul Moya from Los Lunas, N.M.
- The men's golf team concluded the Gopher Invitational in third place after firing a final round 307 (+19) at Spring Hill Golf Course in Wayzata, Minn. ... individually, Max Scodro led the way for the Irish after posting a 219 (+3) score ... the Irish entered Monday's final round holding a four-shot advantage over Arkansas, but could not hold on to the lead as the Razorbacks rode a final round 299 (+11) to secure the title at 16-over par (880) for the three rounds.
- Four traditional home indoor meets highlight a 24-meet indoor and outdoor track and field schedule that head coach Joe Piane released recently ... the Meyo Track plays host to four meets during the indoor season including the Blue & Gold Invitational (Dec. 2), Notre Dame Invitational (Jan. 21), Meyo Invitational (Feb. 3-4) and Alex Wilson Invitational (March 2-3) ... the Meyo Invitational, including the famous Meyo Mile race, will be held for the 26th time ... the BIG EAST Indoor Championships are scheduled for Feb. 18-19 in New York, N.Y. ... the BIG EAST Outdoor Championships will be hosted by South Florida May 4-6 in Tampa, Fla.
- Head coach Tim Welsh recently announced the release of the men's swimming and diving 2011-12 schedule following an extremely beneficial and successful summer for the program ... the season's rather traditional schedule begins Oct. 14 with the 47th edition of the Dennis Stark Relays at the on-campus Rolfs Aquatic Center ... the first half of the schedule comes to an end when Irish student-athletes will compete at the USA Winter Nationals (Dec. 1-3), Iowa Invitational (Dec. 2-4) and Ohio State Invitational (Dec. 2-4) ... this year's BIG EAST Championships will be held at Pittsburgh's Trees Pool ... the diving portion spans from Feb. 10-12 and the swimming events take place from Feb. 15-18.
- Head softball coach Deanna Gumpf announced the upcoming fall and spring schedules for the Fighting Irish, which includes 15 home dates at Melissa Cook Stadium for the 2012 campaign ... in addition, Notre Dame will play host to the BIG EAST Conference Championship for the first time since 2007 ... Notre Dame also hosted the league championship in 1998, 2005 and 2006.
- Two members of the women's lacrosse team - Meredith Locasto and Kelly Driscoll - have been selected to the Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association (IWLCA) academic honor roll for the 2011 campaign ... the two Irish players were among a group of 187 Division I women's lacrosse juniors and seniors with 3.5 grade-point averages or better or ranked in the top 10 percent of their team to be honored by the coaches' association ... the Notre Dame team also was among 56 Division I institutions to earn Academic Squad honors ... as a team, the Notre Dame had a 3.238 grade-point average ... Locasto graduated summa cum laude with a degree in accountancy from the prestigious Mendoza College of Business following her junior year, earning the top grade-point average among all Irish women's lacrosse juniors and seniors with a 3.967 grade-point average for the 2009-10 school year ... Locasto completed her master's of science with a 3.856 GPA.
- The Notre Dame vs. Michigan State football game will feature a pre-game flyover by two USAF A-10Cs ... the national colors will be presented by Richard A. Nussbaum II, president of the Notre Dame Monogram Club, an attorney in South Bend and a member of the University's Board of Trustees ... he will be accompanied by his wife, Mary Pat ... they will be joined by three members of the women's basketball team who led the United States to the gold medal this summer in the World University Games - Devereaux Peters, Natalie Novosel and Skylar Diggins ... just before kickoff more than 80 representatives of the 1966 Notre Dame national championship football team will be introduced as they return for their 45th reunion ... at halftime the women's basketball team will be recognized for its 2011 NCAA runner-up finish, as will head coach Muffet McGraw for her 2011 Women's Basketball Hall of Fame induction.
- SI.com produced its college football preview today and five of the site's writers predicted a BCS bowl for Notre Dame (three said Fiesta, one Sugar, one Orange) ... two writers selected South Florida as their surprise team for 2011 ... the SI.com preseason All-America squad includes Notre Dame's Harrison Smith as one of the safeties ... SI's Stewart Mandel predicts Notre Dame will end up playing Wisconsin in the Fiesta Bowl.
- Guests at the Notre Dame Football Kickoff luncheon Friday (Jack Nolan is the host) are Jeff Rea (president of the Chamber of Commerce of St. Joseph County), Rob DeCleene (director of the South Bend/Mishawka Area Convention and Visitors Bureau), Harvey Foster Award winner and former Irish swimmer Haley Scott DeMaria, Irish offensive line coach Ed Warinner, Irish offensive linemen Trevor Robinson and Braxston Cave and head coach Brian Kelly.
- BIG EAST Conference commissioner John Marinatto will be in attendance at the Notre Dame-USF game Saturday.
- There will be a pre-game flyover at the Notre Dame-USF game Saturday by four USAF E/A-18 Growlers.
- Presentations at the Notre Dame-USF game Saturday include:
- The official Notre Dame football postgame show will again be broadcast live following every Notre Dame game on WSBT-AM News Radio 960 and Sunny 101.5 FM, and televised live on und.com ... the show is hosted by Jack Nolan and Irish All-Americans Reggie Brooks and Mirko Jurkovic ... the televised version of the show on UND.com also features game highlights.
- The 2011 Notre Dame Football Replay (home games only) will be shown on 21 affiliates (including Direct TV, YES Network, Comcast SportsNet Chicago, NESN and Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) and reach more than 69 million homes ... Inside Notre Dame Football is on 25 affiliates and in 71 million homes (all the same major carriers) ... both networks are the largest in the country.
- The U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) released its preseason cross country top 25 on Tuesday, and has the Notre Dame men's team ranked 23rd to open the upcoming 2011 season ... the Irish, who finished 25th in the final poll last season, are one of six BIG EAST teams to receive a ranking in the top 30 ... the Irish men were ranked fourth in the Great Lakes Region to open the season, tops among the BIG EAST teams that compete in the region ... the Irish women's squad was ranked sixth in the region to open the year.
- Two former Notre Dame men's soccer players will be competing for the United Soccer Leagues (USL) PRO title this Saturday ... Jack Traynor and his Orlando City squad will play host to Harrisburg City (Pa.), which features Philip Tuttle ... the match is slated for a 7:00 p.m. (ET) start inside the Florida Citrus Bowl ... the game will be aired live on Fox Soccer Channel.
- The 2011 NCAA national runner-up women's basketball team is poised to take on representatives from each of the nation's top six conferences, and will play up to 19 regular-season games against teams that qualified for postseason play last year (including 16 NCAA Championship qualifiers and four NCAA Elite Eight participants) as part of a demanding 2011-12 schedule that was released Thursday ... what's more, Notre Dame is in position to make at least 11 national or regional television appearances in 2011-12, highlighted by a second consecutive CBS matchup with BIG EAST Conference rival Connecticut (Jan. 7 at Purcell Pavilion) and six games on the ESPN family of networks, three of which are slated as part of ESPN's Big Monday lineup.
- The men's basketball team will play 17 nationally-televised games during the upcoming season ... the slate also features two BIG EAST matchups against defending national champion Connecticut and contests against 12 teams that played in the 68-team NCAA tournament field in 2011 ... Notre Dame also will begin the season riding a 19-game home win streak at Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center ... Notre Dame's 17 television appearances include 16 on ESPN's family of network and one on CBS.
Football: Kelly's USF preview | Kelly's USF transcript | Kelly likes focus
Defense aware of Daniels | That's what he said | Defensive depth chart breakdown
Offensive depth chart breakdown | Frosh will do dumb stuff | Skip excited about return
Title absolutely a possibility | Two better than one? | Irish prep for opener | Carlson out
Challenges ahead | Doyle reorganizes | More special delivery | Kelly sees familiar faces
Finding a left guard | Tailoring the defense | New path | Bulls charge north | Hungry man
Knowledge helps Kelly | Defensive line starters happy for backup | Business trip
Floyd leads offense | Holtz makes return
Men's Lacrosse: MLL recap
Women's Tennis: Former All-American returns
Men's Golf: Scodro seeks title
Volleyball: California girls run to play
Cross Country: Men ranked 23rd
ESPN.com - In winning the 5,000 meters at the U.S. Track and Field Championships in June, Molly Huddle earned her first national title on the track -- and her first world championship team berth. But since that dominant performance in late June, Huddle hasn't been training. Instead, she has been resting an injured foot, unsure how fit she'll be when she toes the line next Wednesday, the day before her 27th birthday, at the worlds in Daegu, South Korea.
Outwardly, Huddle seems unfazed, emanating a quiet confidence she's honed since she became a professional distance runner in 2007, when she graduated from the Notre Dame as a nine-time All American. A year ago, she broke the American record in the 5,000 by running 14:44.76 at a race in Belgium. The time bested Shalane Flanagan's previous record by .04 seconds -- an impressive feat, considering Flanagan is the 2008 Olympic bronze medalist in the 10,000 meters. In a single season, Huddle took an astounding 32 seconds off of her best time in the event.
Upon graduation, Huddle said she was "clueless" about the steps she'd have to take to become a professional runner. Had it not been for the guidance of her college coach, she imagines she would have taken her degree in biology and headed to medical school -- she even took the MCAT. Instead, Huddle connected with Ray Treacy, director of track and cross country operations at Providence College and coach of a handful of elite women runners, including Kim Smith, New Zealand's national record-holder in the marathon and half marathon. It wasn't long after Treacy and Huddle's initial meeting that Huddle was moving to Providence, despite the fact that her husband, Canadian middle-distance runner Kurt Benninger, trains in Bloomington with Team Indiana Elite.
In June, Molly Huddle won the 5,000 at the U.S. championships by more than four seconds.
Most Recent Posts
ABOUT ND ATHLETICS
- About ND Athletics
- Academic All-Americans
- Academics News
- Aerial Lift Safety
- Annual Report
- Atlantic Coast Conference
- Business Office
- EADA Report
- General News
- Hockey East Conference
- Irish Extra
- Media Relations
- Monogram Club
- Recent News
- Safety Protocol
- Staff Directory
- Student Welfare and Development
- Sports Performance
- Fan Center
- Football Game Week Central
- Summer Camps
- Kids Club
- Play Like a Champion Today
- Donation Requests
- Alumni Association
- Game Day
- Composite Schedule
- Fighting Irish Toolbar
- ND Browser Theme
- Sync Schedules