April 30, 2001
South Bend, IN -
The University of Notre Dame has dedicated an intramural field-Riehle Playing Field-adjacent to Stepan Center in honor of Rev. James Riehle, C.S.C., the longtime chaplain for the Irish athletic teams and executive director of the National Monogram Club. Fr. Riehle was honored April 29 at a surprise brunch in the Joyce Center Monogram Room while Riehle Field formally will be rededicated during the weekend of the annual Monogram Club meeting (June 8-10). A 1949 Notre Dame graduate, Father Riehle was ordained as a priest in Sacred Heart Church in 1964. He returned to Notre Dame in 1966 as rector of Sorin Hall and was dean of students from 1967-73 before serving as rector of Pangborn Hall until 1985.