Nov. 19, 2014
NOTRE DAME, Ind. -- With no fewer than four athletics events scheduled for the University of Notre Dame campus on Friday evening, the University's departments of athletics and parking services have designed a comprehensive parking plan to handle the increased number of fans attending these various contests.
Following the Notre Dame football luncheon (noon ET in the Joyce Center Fieldhouse/north dome), the third-ranked Fighting Irish women's basketball team will be the first team in action, playing host to Chattanooga at 5 p.m. (ET) at Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center. The traditional football pep rally will begin at 5:45 p.m. (ET) inside the Joyce Center Fieldhouse/north dome. The Notre Dame hockey team will be in action against UMass Lowell at 7:35 p.m. (ET) at the Compton Family Ice Arena. The Irish volleyball takes to the Purcell Pavilion court for an 8:00 p.m. (ET) contest against North Carolina.
In light of another busy schedule this Friday evening, Notre Dame advises fans of the following guidelines related to athletics event parking near the south edge of the University campus:
- Fans attending Notre Dame athletics events on Friday evening (women's basketball, football pep rally, hockey and volleyball) will be directed to nearby lots: Innovation Park (Angela Road, south of Compton Family Ice Arena), Library (corner of Leahy Drive and Bulla Road), Wellness Center (corner of Bulla Road and Wilson Drive) and Bulla (Bulla Road west of intersection with North Twyckenham Drive).
- Due to the early 5:00 p.m. start of the women's basketball game, two lots adjacent to the Joyce Center will be held for those attending the football luncheon and the women's basketball game.
- Those attending the hockey game are encouraged to park at Innovation Park or at the Eddy Street Commons Parking Garage.
- Once these parking options are full, fans attending the events will be directed to other available parking lots nearby.
- Members of the Notre Dame Parking Services staff will be on hand in all available parking lots.
- Off-campus paid parking is available in the Eddy Street garage, located within Eddy Street Commons across Angela Road from the Notre Dame campus (an estimated 10-minute walk to Notre Dame's athletics facilities) -- the first two hours in the garage are free, followed by incremental charges per vehicle (2-3 hours - $2; 3-4 hours - $4; 4-5 hours - $6; 5-8 hours - $8; 8-24 hours - $10).
- Shuttle buses will begin running from all parking lots at 2:30 p.m. (ET) Friday and will run continuously until 12:00 a.m. (ET) Saturday (following the hockey game).
- The shuttles will originate in the Bulla Lot, turn west on Bulla Road, then south on Leahy Drive before proceeding to the Innovation Park Lot. The shuttles then will turn around in the Innovation Park Lot and drive north along the same route back to the Bulla Lot.
- The shuttles will stop at the following locations along their routes:
- Bulla Lot
- Corner of Bulla Road and Leahy Drive (for Wellness & Library Lot)
- Corner of Leahy Drive and Moose Krause Circle (near Gate 4 of Purcell Pavilion)
- Corner of Leahy Drive and Moose Krause Circle (near Gate 8 of Purcell Pavilion)
- East side of Compton Family Ice Arena
- Innovation Park Lot
- Irish Ambassadors will ride on the shuttle buses to answer questions about games, times, routes, pick-up locations and more.
- Iish Ambassadors will be stationed outdoors at five of the shuttle bus stops (Bulla Lot, corner of Bulla Road and Leahy Drive, Gates 4 and 8 at Purcell Pavilion, and Innovation Park Lot) from 3:30-8:00 p.m. (ET) to assist in directing fans to their specific Notre Dame athletics event.
- Irish Ambassadors and University ushers will be available until 12:00 a.m. (ET) Saturday to assist fans.
In addition, signage will be posted in all parking lots, shuttle stops and other adjacent thoroughfares, directing fans to available parking facilities. Fans also will receive postcards with information on shuttle routes, pick-up locations and a map of available parking lots.
"Last week, we were faced with these same parking challenges that will exist again this weekend due to the number of events occurring on campus," said Jack Swarbrick, Notre Dame vice president and director of athletics. "Our staff once again has provided a plan that will help facilitate the parking needs of our Notre Dame community and guests. We appreciate the understanding and cooperation of everyone who will be on campus this weekend."
For more information on parking for upcoming Notre Dame athletics events, including an easy-reference map, go online to UND.com/parking, while general information on Football Gameday activities also can be found online at gameday.nd.edu. Fans wishing to purchase tickets for a future Fighting Irish game may contact the Murnane Family Athletics Ticket Office by phone (574) 631-7356 or by going online to UND.com/tickets. Fans also can receive updated Notre Dame athletics parking and ticketing information through the Fighting Irish athletics ticket office Twitter page (@NDTIX).