Feb. 12, 2017
By Sinhue Mendoza
NOTRE DAME, Indiana - In the final day of swimming from the Ohio State Winter Invitational, Notre Dame earned several NCAA B-Cut times and multiple swimmers clocked season best times in the last regular-season meet of the 2016-17 season.
Men's 200-yard Breaststroke
The Irish registered a pair of NCAA B-Cut times in the event. Ben Gorski and Steven Shek both earned the cut with times of 1:58.65 and 1:59.22, respectively. The duo came in fourth and fifth. It marked the second straight day that Shek earned a B-Cut time.
Men's 50-yard Freestyle
Dan Fujan's time of 20.09 in the men's 50 freestyle earned him a NCAA B-Cut time for the second day in a row. The Notre Dame sophomore placed second in a crowded field of 26 swimmers.
Women's 1650-yard Freestyle
Senior Molly Barry earned her best time of the season with a second-place time of 16:41.53. It was the best time by a Notre Dame swimmer in the event this season.
OHIO STATE WINTER INVITATIONAL MEET NOTES
- Claire DeSelm earned her best time of the season in the women's 200 backstroke at 2:01.75.
- Billy Barth clocked his best time of the season in the men's 200 freestyle at 1:38.36.
- Kelly Jacob swam her best time in the women's 50 freestyle at 23.30 in the morning prelims.
- Sammy Steigerwald swam her best time in the season in the women's 200 at 1:50.27.
- Carolyn Kammeyer had her best time of the season in the 200 butterfly at 2:00.67.
- Katie Rentz swam the 200 butterfly in 2:01.32, which was good for a second-place finish.
- David Stewart came in fifth out of 12 in the men's 200 butterfly at 1:50.72. It was his best time in the event this year.
- Paige Kaplan's time of 2:06.17 in the women's 200 IM was her best of the season.
- Rex Riley had his best time of the season in the men's 200 IM at 1:51.81. The Irish freshman came in sixth out of a group of 19.
Notre Dame women start the 2017 Women's ACC Championships on Monday in Atlanta, Georgia. Diving begins in the morning and Irish faithful can follow the team's run through the tournament in Atlanta through the Live Link and ACC Network Extra will cover the ACC Women's Swimming and the Men's and Women's Diving Championships on February 14 through February 16.
Tuesday, February 14 - http://es.pn/2jSSLIQ
Wednesday, February 15 - http://es.pn/2jTaxOQ
Thursday, February 16 - http://es.pn/2jAHz2T
Supporters can also follow live results of the week's action on both team Twitter accounts, @NDWSwimDive and @NDMensswimdive, with a complete recap posted to und.com at the conclusion of the meet.