October 3, 1996
Women Take First, Men Take Second at Notre Dame Invitational
Notre Dame, Indiana
--Notre Dame faced tough competition at the Notre Dame
Invitational as the women took home first place while the men finished second
at the Notre Dame Invitational at Notre Dame golf course, on Friday. Michigan
claimed the men's title with 61 points while Notre Dame was second with 69 points
and Duke was third with 96 points. On the women's side, Notre Dame won with 88
points while Bowling Green State was second with 115 points and Lewis University
was third with 120 points.
The men were paced by junior Jason Rexing who finished in fifth place with a time
of 24:02. Matt Althoff and Derek Seiling finished in seventh and ninth place
respectively. Joe Dunlop also finished in the top fifteen for the Irish.
Joanna Deeter continued to run well for the Irish as she took home first place
honors with a time of 16:27. Nicole LaSelle was the only other Irish runner in
the top ten as she finished in seventh place.
The Irish run next at the Central Collegiate Championships in Kalamazoo, Mich.
Men's Results Women's Results
Michigan 61, ND 69, Duke 96 ND 88, BGSU 115, Lewis 120
1. James Njoroge, Taylor 23:34 1. Joanna Deeter, ND 16:27
2. John Mortimer, Mich. 23:42 2. Kay Arient, Lewis 16:31
3. Ambo Bati, Augustana 23:58 3. Missy McCleary, Windsor 16:43
4. Mac Knapp, WVU 24:00 4. Charity Wachera, WVU 17:00
5. Jason Rexing, ND 24:02 5. Magdalena Paszta, Lewis 17:05
6. Matt Brill, N. Central 24:06 6. Heather Bury, WVU 17:08
7. Matt Althoff, ND 24:07 7. Nicole LaSelle, ND 17:08
8. Scott Macdonald, Mich. 24:12 8. Malgorazata Biela, Lewis 17:11
9. Derek Seiling, ND 24:22 9. Beth Shroyer, EMU 17:21
10. Jay Brock, UNI 24:27 10. Amy Perry, Edinboro 17:25