Sept. 22, 2008
Senior Patrick Smyth is a four-time All-American in cross country and track and field. He won the 2007 Great Lakes Regional Cross Country Championships and finished 15th at the NCAA meet. Smyth won the BIG EAST indoor 5,000-meter and outdoor 10,000-meter titles in 2008 and finished eighth in the 10,000 meters at the NCAA Outdoor Championships.
1. What is your cell phone ring right now?
One of the default tones, but one of my friends says it is a classical piece.
2. If you could be any superhero, who would you be?
Batman. The new movie was awesome.
3. What is your favorite memory with your Irish team mates?
When the team placed third at the NCAA meet during my freshman year.
4. What would be your dream job?
I really want to compete in the Olympics.
5. What television show do you never miss?
My favorite show is House, but I also really like The Office and South Park.
6. What song do you love to listen to but are embarrassed to admit it?
"Call on Me" by Eric Prydz.
7. When you were younger, what were you always getting in trouble for?
I was a good kid, but I guess I talked a lot in class.
8. Which has been the biggest meet of your career?
The NCAA Championship every year.
9. What artist takes up most of your iPod/music library?
Radiohead. Their new album is great, not to mention free.
10. If you could trade places with Coach Piane for a day, what would you do?
I would make all the guys do impersonations of me as the coach.
11. If you were stranded on an island, what three things would you want to have with you?
Obviously running shoes, but I wouldn't mind having a companion, preferably female, and a good book.
12. What is the hardest thing about being a student-athlete?
Keeping up with the academic side of college.
13. If a movie was made about your life, what would the title be and who would play you?
It would be untitled, but Ed Norton would definitely play me.
14. Do you have any nicknames?
15. If you could have dinner with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
Gandhi. He had a universal wealth of wisdom.
16. What is the best book you've ever read?
The Catcher in the Rye is just a classic.
17. Where is your favorite place at Notre Dame?
The Decio building. I love picking up coffee and a sweet roll there.
18. What is your worst habit?
I drink too much caffeine. Sometimes, I'll go through three cups of coffee before noon.
19. If you had your own energy drink, what would it be called?
20. What does being part of the Fighting Irish mean to you?
I'm going to borrow something my roommate says. "The 8,000 students here at Notre Dame are not an elite community, but what we have here as the Fighting Irish is a special community that you won't find anywhere else. On the same token, that community and camaraderie is intensified even more if you're on a sports team."