Feb. 23, 1997
Mississippi Routs Notre Dame 11-5
Mississippi 207 000 02- - 11 10 0 Notre Dame 020 011 01- - 5 11 5
Notre Dame: Starisky Davis (3), Brad Lidge (4) and Amhrein. Mississippi: Tolbert, Florie (5) McSchoy (7), Hudson (8) and Ceriani. HR: Jason Huisman (Miss). WP: Florie. LP: Starisky.
- The game was called after eight innings due to time contraints.
- It was the final game for the Irish at the Beach Baseball Classic (Notre Dame finished 0-3).
- The Irish have been outscored 22-2 in the first three innings of their three games.
- Notre Dame cut the Mississippi lead to 9-4 in the sixth inning. Pat O'Keefe led off the inning with a walk and advanced to second on a walk to Alan Greene. Green was picked off first. A ground out by Paul Turco advanced O'Keefe to third base where he scored on opposite field single by Mike Ambrein. Jeff Felker struck out to end the inning.
Notre Dame Game Standouts:
- So. DH Jeff Wagner went 3-for-5.
- Pat O'Keefe (who started in place of Randall Brooks, who was nursing a quadricep injury) went 2-for-3, with two runs scored and an RBI.
Notre Dame Series Standouts
- Mike Amhrein 7-for-13
- Jeff Wagner 7-for- 14
- Jeff Felker 4-for-12