April 19, 2017
|Illinois State Game||Stat Pack||ACC Network Extra||WatchND||Gametracker|
By Michael Scholl
Five Things To Know
- The Notre Dame baseball team plays host to Illinois State on Wednesday night at 6:05 p.m. The game can be seen live on ACC Network Extra and heard on WatchND and 103.1 FM. It marks the only home contest in an eight-game stretch for Mik Aoki's squad.
- The Irish are coming off an 8-3 victory over Central Michigan on Tuesday night in Detroit. It was Notre Dame's 23rd victory as it played in its fifth different Major League park. Charlie Vorsheck got his second career win while making his first career start. Five different Irish players had RBI in the win.
- Ryan Smoyer is slated to start for the Irish, making his third start of the year. Smoyer picked up a win last week in an 8-3 victory over Toledo. Mitch Weis takes the hill for the Redbirds. He enters with a 1-2 record and 7.50 ERA.
- Thanks to a 2-for-5 night at Comerica Park on Tuesday, Nick Podkul carries at 24-game on-base streak into Wednesday's game. He owns the longest on-base streak by an Irish player since teammate Kyle Fiala reached base in 47 straight during the 2015 campaign. Jake Johnson and Ryan Lidge are just behind him with on-base streaks of 15 and 14, respectively. Johnson also has a seven-game hitting streak.
- The Irish return to the road this weekend for a three-game ACC series at No. 19 Virginia. Friday's game is set for 6 p.m., with Saturday at 4 p.m. and Sunday's game at Noon. All three games can be seen on ACC Network Extra, via WatchESPN, and heard on WatchND and 103.1 FM.
Michael Scholl joined Fighting Irish Media in August 2016, coordinating communications for the baseball program and assisting with the football team at his alma mater. The South Bend native earned a degree in political science from the College of Arts & Letters in 2009 before going on to work in athletics communications at Providence College,