Mike Brey on Torres
“Austin will continue to be our energy guy off the bench, whether it is four minutes, eight minutes or 10 minutes he will come in, defend, run the floor and play post defense. He really understands his role and it will be an important one for us.”
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2017 Notre Dame Knute Rockne Scholar-Athlete
- 2016 ACC Academic Honor Roll
SENIOR SEASON (2016-17)
- Made his first career start at North Carolina (game played in Greensboro, N.C.).
- Announced on Jan. 19, 2017, at the Mike Brey Radio Show, his intention to return for a fifth year of eligibility in 2017-18 and pursue an MBA in the Mendoza College of Business.
- Focuses on playing short minutes at his highest effort on the defensive end.
- Provided huge minutes off the bench in the quick turnaround at Virginia Tech, playing nine minutes with four points and three rebounds.
- Played perhaps his best game in a Notre Dame uniform at Miami, scoring a season-high eight points on 4-of-5 shooting with two offensive rebounds
- Made a huge impact in four minutes against No. 9/9 Louisville, stealing a pass on the first possession on which he entered the game, eventually scoring six points with two blocks.
- Dished out a career-best three assists in the victory over North Carolina A&T.
- Scored a season high five points in the Legends Classic title game with Northwestern.
- Matched his career high in rebounds by pulling down six in the Legends Classic semifinal with Colorado.
- Played 12 minutes vs. Loyola Maryland with two points, two assists and two rebounds.
- Member of the East Coast All-Stars during the summer of 2017, touring Spain with head coach Larry Brown.
JUNIOR SEASON (2015-16)
- Played a season-high 14 minutes at Virginia (1/2/16).
- Scored a season-high five points in eight minutes of action vs. Youngstown State (12/21/16).
- Saw action in 15 of Notre Dame’s 18 ACC games.
SOPHOMORE SEASON (2014-15)
- Played in 27 games in his first season of collegiate competition.
- Appeared in 14 ACC games.
- Came off the bench against Purdue (12/20/14) in the Crossroads Classic to score a career-high 11 points on four of six shooting.
- Helped the Irish to an overtime victory over Michigan State (12/3/14) playing 19 minutes with two points and four rebounds.
FRESHMAN SEASON (2013-14)
- Did not play.
- Averaged 18.0 points, 10.0 rebounds, 3.0 blocks in his senior year (2012-13) at Penn High School.
- Led Penn to Northern Indiana Conference (NIC) crown in 2012-13.
- Played on same MBA Select AAU Team as former Irish teammate and current Houston Rockets guard Demetrius Jackson.
- Full name is Austin Michael Torres.
- Born in South Bend, Indiana.
- Son of Rick and Brenda Torres with younger brother, Anthony and younger sister, Alyssa.
- Mother Brenda is a Notre Dame graduate and played soccer for the Fighting Irish women’s soccer team (1990-93).
- Grandfather Bernie Gorski attended Notre Dame.
- Represents men’s basketball team on Notre Dame Student-Athlete Advisory Council (SAAC).
- Graduated in May of 2017 with a degree from the Mendoza College of Business as a management consulting major.