Mike Brey on Colson
“Bonzie needs to do a little bit of everything for us this year. The biggest thing is to have him enjoy the journey this year and not feel pressure. Everyone is going to come after him. He loves to win and is focused on that and that is a great trait to have. It is up to me to find where to play him on the court throughout the game where he will be the toughest matchup.”
AWARDS AND HONORS
- 2017-18 ACC Player of the Week (Dec. 26, 2017)
- 2017-18 Associated Press Preseason All-American
- 2017-18 Sports Illustrated Preseason All-American
- 2017-18 The Sporting News Preseason All-American
- 2017-18 The Athletic Preseason All-American
- 2017-18 Oscar Robertson Award Watch List (Top CBB Player)
- 2017-18 Atlantic Coast Conference Preseason Player of the Year
- 2017-18 Preseason All-ACC First Team
- 2017-18 Sports Illustrated Preseason ACC Player of the Year
- 2017-18 Blue Ribbon Preseason Yearbook National Player of the Year
- 2017-18 Karl Malone Award Watch List (Top CBB PF)
- 2017-18 Blue Ribbon Preseason Yearbook ACC Player of the Year
- 2017-18 Blue Ribbon Preseason Yearbook First Team All-American
- 2017-18 CollegeInsider.com Luke Olson Player of the Week (Nov. 27, 2017)
- 2017 Maui Invitational All-Tournament Team
- 2017 Associated Press All-American, Third Team
- 2017 The Sporting News All-American, Third Team
- 2017 CBSSports.com All-American, Third Team
- 2017 Basketball Times All-American, Second Team
- 2017 College Sports Madness All-American, Third Team
- 2017 All-ACC First Team Selection
- 2017 ACC All-Tournament Team, First Team
- 2017 Notre Dame Monogram Club Team MVP
- 2017 Karl Malone Trophy Finalist (Top PF in the nation)
- 2017 Wooden Award Final 15 Selection (March 4, 2017)
- 2017 Naismith Award Top 30 (Feb. 9, 2017)
- 2016-17 Naismith Award Player of the Week (Feb. 14, 2017)
- 2016-17 USBWA Oscar Robertson Player of the Week (Feb. 14, 2017)
- 2016-17 CollegeInsider.com Lute Olson Player of the Week (Feb. 13, 2017)
- 2016-17 NCAA.com All-Week Team (Feb. 13, 2017)
- 2016-17 College Sports Madness National and ACC Player of the Week (Feb. 13, 2017)
- 2016-17 NBC College Basketball Talk National Player of the Week (Feb. 13, 2017)
- 2016-17 ACC Player of the Week (Feb. 13, 2017)
- 2016-17 ACC Player of the Week (Dec. 5, 2016)
- 2015 Notre Dame Newcomer of the Year
- CollegeInsider.com Lute Olson Player of the Week (2/18/16)
- Led the Irish to an ACC opening victory over Georgia Tech with 22 points, a career-high matching 17 rebounds with three blocks and two steals.
- Earned third ACC Player of the Week award in Dec. 26, 2017 after his performances vs. Dartmouth and Southeastern Louisiana, averaging 26.5 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 3.0 bpg whiel shooting .618 from the floor and .556 from three-point range.
- Posted eighth double-double of the season vs. Southeastern Louisiana with 16 points and 10 rebounds - while missing 10 minutes of the first half recovering from a bloody nose suffered in a collision under the basket.
- Exploded for a career-high 37 points in the victory over Dartmouth, shooting 15-of-21 from the floor, 3-of-5 from three-point range and collecting 11 rebounds.
- With 4:36 remaining vs. Dartmouth and the Irish with a three point lead, Colson took over the game: hit a 3FG at the top of the key, then stole the ball in the backcourt for a dunk before yet another steal on the next Big Green possession to put the Irish ahead to stay.
- Became the 14th Notre Dame player to collect 800 career rebounds vs. Dartmouth.
- Carried the Irish through the overtime loss vs. Indiana in the Crossroads Classic with a season-high 29 points, 11 rebounds and two steals - scoring six of Notre Dame’s 12 points in overtime.
- Worked around a constant double team at Delaware for his fifth double-double of the season wih 19 points and 12 rebounds, shooting 8-of-12 from the floor with two steals.
- Posted his fourth 20-point game of the season against Ball State, shooting 10-for-19 from the floor with 26 points.
- Turned in a great tournament performance at the Maui Invitational, with 23 points, 8 rebounds vs. Chaminade, 12 points and 11 rebounds vs. LSU and a game-high 25 points with 11 rebounds in the come-from-behind victory over No. 6/6 Wichita State.
- His lay up with under a minute remaining in regulation cut Wichita State’s lead to one point at 65-66, after hitting a key three pointer just minutes earlier.
- Led the Irish to victory over Mount St. Mary’s with 27 points (on 11-of-15 shooting) with 11 rebounds.
- Began the season with his 24th career double-double in the victory at DePaul, scoring 18 points with a game-high 13 rebounds.
- His 12th of 13 rebounds at DePaul was the 700th of his career, becoming the 20th Irish player to reach that statistical plateau. He is the 12th Notre Dame player in school history to post over 1,200 points with 700 career rebounds.
JUNIOR SEASON (2016-17)
- Capped his season with a virtuoso performance against West Virginia in the second round of the NCAA tournament, scoring a game-high 27 points with a career-best four 3FG, shooting 10-of-15 from the floor with eight rebounds.
- Posted eight 20-point scoring performances in the final 12 games of the season, including a stellar 29-point explosion in the ACC Championship final against Duke.
- Earned All-ACC tournament honors as arguably the best all-around player in the tournament - averaging 22.7 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.0 bpg and 1.2 spg while shooting .521 from FG and .500 (3-for-6) from three-point range.
- Finished off the home schedule with his 18th double-double of the season, scoring 18 points with 11 rebounds in the victory over Boston College.
- Led the team to victory over Georgia Tech with 20 points and 11 rebounds, his 17th double-double of the season and seventh 20-10 game of the year.
- Hit 20 points for the third consecutive game, a first in his career, with 20 points and six rebounds at Boston College.
- Exploded for a career-high 33 points against No. 14/15 Florida State, including an impressive 20 points and eight rebounds in the second half, finishing with 16 rebounds for his 16th double-double of the season.
- During his big game against the Seminoles, became the 61st Notre Dame player to score 1,000 career points.
- Compiled yet another impressive double-double performance, perhaps the best of his career, against Wake Forest with a game-high 27 points, 16 rebounds and a career-best five blocked shots.
- Efforts vs. Wake Forest and Florida State earned Colson second ACC Player of the Week award on Monday, Feb. 13, 2017.
- Posted perhaps his toughest double-double of the year at North Carolina, battling the Tar Heel front line to grab 10 rebounds with 17 points - his ACC-leading 14th double-double of the year.
- Logged his sixth 20-point scoring game of the season against No. 12/13 Virginia, shooting 8-of-11 from the floor for 20 points, and three blocks.
- Battled against the Louisville front line to post his ninth double-double of the season, grabbing a game-high 14 rebounds along with 18 points.
- Posted a career-high 40 minutes in the victory at Pittsburgh, compiling his eighth double-double of the season with 21 points and a game-high 14 rebounds.
- Recorded seventh double-double of the season with 23 points and 10 rebounds vs. No. 15/16 Purdue in the Crossroads Classic.
- First non-guard at Notre Dame to score double-figure points in a season’s first 16 games since Luke Harangody in 2009-10.
- Named ACC Player of the Week for the first time in his career of Monday, Dec. 4, 2016, after averaging 17.0 points, 14.0 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game in Notre Dame’s victories over Iowa and North Carolina A&T.
- Was a force in the paint during the Legends Classic semifinal and final, posting back-to-back double-doubles against Colorado (22 pts, 12 reb) and Northwestern (13 pts, 11 reb).
SOPHOMORE SEASON (2015-16)
- Registered his first career 30-point game with 31 points and 11 rebounds at Duke (1/16/16), helping the Irish claim their first win at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
- Posted fourth double-double of the season vs. Duke (3/10/16) in the ACC Quarterfinals, scoring 12 points with a career-high 12 rebounds.
- Dominated the second half of the victory over No. 2/1 North Carolina (2/6/16) with 13 points (four of six from the field) and seven rebounds, including four offensive rebounds.
- Started 24 contests during the season season but also embraced a role to add energy off the Irish bench in 11 games.
- Earned his third double-double of the season and career vs. North Carolina (3/11/16) in the ACC Semifinals, leading the team with 19 points and 10 rebounds.
- Scored in double figures 22 times in 35 games, adding five 10-plus rebound performances.
- Scored 24 points with eight rebounds, two blocks and two steals vs. Indiana (12/19/15) in the Crossroads Classic, played at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Ind.
FRESHMAN SEASON (2014-15)
- Enjoyed strong rookie outing with the Irish as he logged more minutes than any freshman on the squad.
- Saw action in 15 ACC contests and made his only career start in a win at home versus Miami (1/17/15).
- Emerged as a force in a reserve role for Notre Dame during ACC and NCAA championship runs, averaging 4.9 points and 2.0 rebounds during Notre Dame’s seven post-season contests.
- In his return back to the New England area when the Irish faced Boston College (2/21/15), he finished with 16 points (on 8-9 shooting from the field) and six rebounds in just 14 minutes off the bench.
- Posted a 17-point performance in ACC Championship semifinal win over Duke (3/13/15).
- Two-time Rhode Island Gatorade Player of the Year (2013 and 2014) while serving as captain of his St. Andrew’s School Prep squad in Barrington, Rhode Island and leading team to a 26-5 record and a spot in the New England Prep School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) Class AA tournament semifinals.
- Led his teams to a 99-31 (.762) record during four-year career.
- His squad advanced to the 201k3 NEPSAC championship game before dropping a 61-60 heartbreaker on a 45-foot bank shot at the buzzer.
- Received Big Slice Game Award at 2014 Kentucky Derby Festival Classic at Freedom Hall in Louisville, Kentucky, as he finished the game with 18 points and 15 rebounds.
- Member of Boston Amateur Basketball Club (BABC) AAU team for six years and won four AAU national championships with that program.
- Won gold medal in 2012 at prestigious Victor RHO tournament in Milan, Italy.
- Participated in Albert Schweitzer Game in Germany in April 2014.
- Member of United States East squad at 2013 Nike Global Challenge.
- Full name is Bonzie Alexander Colson II.
- Born in Washington, D.C.
- Son of Bonzie and Cynthia Colson, along with younger sister Sydni.
- His father was a four-year starting center at the University of Rhode Island and one of the Rams’ career shot block leaders.
- During the 1987-88 campaign, the elder Colson helped Rhode Island to a school-best 28-7 record and an appearance in the NCAA Championship Sweet 16.
- Bonzie Sr. also spent time as an assistant coach on the George Washington and Boston College coaching staffs.
- Enrolled in the College of Arts and Letters with a major in film, television and theatre.