“I want Bonzie to think of himself as one of the best players in the ACC and the country. He is an amazingly confident guy. He is a warrior. He needs to join the Vasturia/Beachem group and add a voice as a leader on the team. We need to be strategic in where we put him offensively. When do we post him and when to we face him up? I want him to be aggressive. He sets the tone for us in big games. He is a bright-lights delivery guy for us.”
- Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey
AWARDS AND HONORS:
2015 Notre Dame Newcomer of the Year
CollegeInsider.com Lute Olson "Player of the Week" (2/18/16)
SOPHOMORE SEASON (2015-16):
- Registered his first career 30-point game with 31 points and 11 rebounds at Duke (1/16/16), helping the Irish claim their first win at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
- Posted fourth double-double of the season vs. Duke (3/10/16) in the ACC Quarterfinals, scoring 12 points with a career-high 12 rebounds.
- Dominated the second half of the victory over No. 2/1 North Carolina (2/6/16) with 13 points (four of six from the field) and seven rebounds, including four offensive rebounds.
- Started 24 contests during the season season but also embraced a role to add energy off the Irish bench in 11 games.
- Earned his third double-double of the season and career vs. North Carolina (3/11/16) in the ACC Semifinals, leading the team with 19 points and 10 rebounds.
- Scored in double figures 22 times in 35 games, adding five 10-plus rebound performances.
- Scored 24 points with eight rebounds, two blocks and two steals vs. Indiana (12/19/15) in the Crossroads Classic, played at BankersLife Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Ind.
FRESHMAN SEASON (2014-15):
- Enjoyed strong rookie outing with the Irish as he logged more minutes than any freshman on the squad.
- Saw action in 15 ACC contests and made his only career start in a win at home versus Miami (1/17/15).
- Emerged as a force in a reserve role for Notre Dame during ACC and NCAA championship runs, averaging 4.9 points and 2.0 rebounds during Notre Dame's seven post-season contests.
- In his return back to the New England area when the Irish faced Boston College (2/21/15), he finished with 16 points (on 8-9 shooting from the field) and six rebounds in just 14 minutes off the bench.
- Posted a 17-point performance in ACC Championship semifinal win over Duke (3/13/15).
- Two-time Rhode Island Gatorade Player of the Year (2013 and 2014) while serving as captain of his St. Andrew's School Prep squad in Barrington, Rhode Island and leading team to a 26-5 record and a spot in the New England Prep School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) Class AA tournament semifinals.
- Led his teams to a 99-31 (.762) record during four-year career.
- His squad advanced to the 201k3 NEPSAC championship game before dropping a 61-60 heartbreaker on a 45-foot bank shot at the buzzer.
- Received Big Slice Game Award at 2014 Kentucky Derby Festival Classic at Freedom Hall in Louisville, Kentucky, as he finished the game with 18 points and 15 rebounds.
- Member of Boston Amateur Basketball Club (BABC) AAU team for six years and won four AAU national championships with that program.
- Won gold medal in 2012 at prestigious Victor RHO tournament in Milan, Italy.
- Participated in Albert Schweitzer Game in Germany in April 2014.
- Member of United States East squad at 2013 Nike Global Challenge.
- Full name is Bonzie Alexander Colson II.
- Born in Washington, D.C.
- Son of Bonzie and Cynthia Colson, along with younger sister Sydni.
- His father was a four-year starting center at the University of Rhode Island and one of the Rams' career shot block leaders.
- During the 1987-88 campaign, the elder Colson helped Rhode Island to a school-best 28-7 record and an appearance in the NCAA Championship Sweet 16.
- Bonzie Sr. also spent time as an assistant coach on the George Washington and Boston College coaching staffs.
- Enrolled in the College of Arts and Letters with a major in Film, Television and Theatre.