MIKE BREY ON GEBEN
“Martinas needs to continue to play confidently like he did while winning the gold medal at the World University Games and that starts with post defense and rebounding. I think he becomes a little more of a post scorer for us this year.”
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2017 Notre Dame Knute Rockne Scholar-Athlete
- 2016 ACC Academic Honor Roll
JUNIOR SEASON (2016-17)
- Fifth European player to attend Notre Dame and play for Mike Brey. The other four players were Ivan Kartelo and Jere Macura (Split, Croatia), Tom Timmermans (Driehuis, Netherlands) and Eric Katenda (Paris, France).
- A key member of the Lithuanian Student National Team that earned a gold medal at the 2017 World University Games in Taipei, Taiwan, with a victory over the United States (represented in the tournament by the 2017-18 Purdue men’s basketball team).
- Averaged 10.8 points, 6.9 rebounds and shot 53.1% from the field during the World University Games.
- Returned to Lithuania from July 18 through July 25, 2017, to try out for a spot on the Lithuanian Students National Team to compete at the World University Games in Taipei, Taiwan, from August 19 through August 30, 2017.
- Toured China from July 27 through August 12 with the Lithuanian Students National Team in preparation for the World University Games.
- Praised by head coach Mike Brey after his effort at Louisville, grabbing four rebounds and playing 16 minutes off the bench. His rebound dunk against the Cardinals cut the Louisville lead to four points with 1:29 remaining.
- Had his best performance off the bench vs. Boston College with six points and four rebounds in 10 minutes.
- Posted perhaps most complete game in an Irish uniform at Pittsburgh, just missing first career double-double with 10 points and nine rebounds - and hitting all of his field goal (4-for-4) and free throw (2-for-2) attempts.
- His 28 minutes played at Pittsburgh surpassed his total for ACC play from 2015-16 and was more than half of his total (55) from his freshman season.
- Played 19 minutes with seven rebounds, four points and two blocks in the victory over Saint Peter’s.
- Logged 22 minutes against No. 15/16 Purdue in the Crossroads Classic, scoring a season-high nine points, dishing out a career-best three assists and connecting on 3-of-4 free throws.
- Provided an instant boost off the bench in the second half over Iowa, making key plays during a run which allowed the Irish to seize control of the victory - finished the game with nine rebounds and one block in 11 minutes of action (after two quick fouls sent him to the bench early in the game).
- Grabbed a career-high 10 rebounds in the victory over Loyola Maryland and continued to play solid interior defense.
- Set the tone in the team’s win over Seattle with great post defense against the Red Hawks’ 7-3 center Aaron Menzies along with a put-back dunk in the game’s first few minutes.
- Made his second career start against Bryant in the season-opening victory, grabbing a career-high seven rebounds in 12 minutes of action.
SOPHOMORE SEASON (2015-16)
- Saw action in 16 games during the season.
- Played a season-high nine minutes in the season-opening victory over St. Francis (11/13/15).
- Member of the East Coast All-Stars team, along with classmate Matt Farrell, that traveled to Italy in the summer of 2016 and compiled a 3-1 record. Was a dominant force in the paint for the East Coast All-Stars, averaging 15.5 and 11.3 rebounds in four games.
FRESHMAN SEASON (2014-15)
- Played in 22 contests during his rookie season with the Irish.
- Made only start of the season in Notre Dame’s win at Georgia Tech (1/14/15).
- Saw action in nine ACC contests during his rookie season.
- Registered career highs of 12 points and six rebounds in third game of the season versus Coppin State (11/19/14)
- Played 10-plus minutes in 10 of the 22 contests he saw action in.
- Spent time as a member of the Lithuanian National Team at the 2013 FIBA U-19 World Championship in Prague, Czech Republic, earning a bronze medal and averaging 5.9 ppg, 5.2 rpg and shooting 61 percent from the field in nine games.
- Played three seasons at St. Maria Goretti in Hagerstown, Maryland.
- Shot better than 58 percent from the field and 72 percent from the free-throw line during his prep career.
- Played in 25 games before suffering a season-ending wrist injury in his senior year.
- Played for Team Takeover (AAU) and was MVP of the Big Shots/DC Duel in the summer 2013.
- Full name is Martinas Geben.
- Born in Vilnius, Lithuania.
- Son of Artur and Elena Geben along with younger sister, Karolina.
- Enrolled in the Mendoza College of Business with a major in management consulting.