“Matt is going to be such a key guy for us. He stayed confident through the summer and embraced the starting point guard role. He can lead and he needs to talk more. The biggest improvement he needs is that when he has an open shot he can’t turn it down. He is a great shooter and we want him taking a shot when he has it.”
- Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey
SOPHOMORE SEASON (2015-16):
- First four career starts came in Notre Dame’s run to the Elite Eight in the 2015-16 NCAA Tournament.
- Finished the four-game stretch averaging 26.8 minutes, 6.5 ppg and 3.5 apg.
- Scored 10 points in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge victory at Illinois (12/2/15), his first career game in double-figures.
- Saw action in 28 games during the season.
- Played with the East Coast All-Stars in the summer of 2016, traveling to Italy and helping the team to a 3-1 record, averaging 11.5 ppg and 4.3 apg.
FRESHMAN SEASON (2014-15):
- Saw action in 15 games during his first year with the program and played in five ACC contests.
- Four-year member of varsity team and three-time captain at Point Pleasant Beach High School in Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.
- Played on teams that won two New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA) Central New Jersey Group 1 State Championships in consecutive seasons (2013 and 2014), as well as two divisional titles and two sectional crowns.
- Garnered first-team all-state honors as a senior after averaging 19.5 ppg, 5.9 apg, 3.8 rpg and 3.0 spg while leading his prep team to the state semifinals, a 29-2 record and the school's first Shore Conference Tournament championship.
- Named a first-team all-state honoree by the Newark Star-Ledger as a senior, in addition to earning first-team all-metro accolades that included players from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
- Two-time Ocean County Player of the Year.
- Full name is Matthew Thomas Farrell.
- Born in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- Son of Robert and Michelle Farrell along with his older brother, Robert III.
- Grandfather Robert Farrell Sr. is a 1954 Notre Dame graduate.
- Enrolled in the College of Arts and Letters with a major in Film, Television and Theatre.