“Like his classmate Rex Pflueger, played big minutes on a team that advanced deep into March as a freshman. I think we can play him as a second big. We are two years out from his hip surgery and he is healthier now. With his weapon of shot-making, there just aren’t a lot of guys who can get on a roll from the three point line the way he can. He is underrated as a rebounder and a better passer than everyone thinks. He will have a huge role for us.”
- Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey
HONORS AND AWARDS:
2015-16 All-ACC Academic Team
FRESHMAN SEASON (2015-16):
- Hit a key three pointer with 12:18 remaining in the second half vs. Michigan (3/18/16) during the first round of the NCAA tournament to cap Notre Dame's comeback from a 12-point halftime deficit.
- Exploded for a career-high 17 points off the bench in the first half vs. NC State (3/5/16), scoring eight consecutive points on his first three shots of the game (two three pointers, one jumper).
- Made his first career start vs. Georgia Tech (1/13/16), scoring 10 points and grabbing a career-best seven rebounds while playing a career-high 35 minutes.
- Played 26 minutes and scored 11 points against Iowa (11/27/15) in the Advocare Invitational.
- Named 2015 Mr. New York Basketball following senior campaign at Iona Prep in which he averaged 20.0 ppg., 8.0 rpg. and 5.0 apg.
- Led the Gaels to a 22-6 record en route to the program's first Class AA Archdiocesan Championship
- Participated in the Kentucky Derby Basketball Classic, Jordan Brand Regional All-Star Game and joined current Notre Dame classmate Rex Pflueger in the Capital Classic.
- Played in only eight games during his junior year after undergoing double-hip surgery in March 2014.
- Played on New Heights AAU team in 2012-13 and 2011-12.
- Full name is Matthew Richard Ryan.
- Born in White Plains, New York.
- Son of Richard and Laurie Ryan, along with older sister, Mikela and younger brother, Michael.
- Member of National Honor Society, National Latin Honor Society and National Italian Honor Society
- Enrolled in the Mendoza College of Business.