“Pat brings physicality to our practices. We saw him in the Bookstore championship game and were impressed with his skill. I know what we are losing on the front line. He is a huge body for us in practice. He is a motivated student who wants to go to medical school. It gives us another man and more maturity in our locker room - which has been a big part of our culture.” - Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey
AS A MEMBER OF THE NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL TEAM (2014-16):
- Walk-on defensive end for the Notre Dame football team from January 2014 through January 2016.
- Lone play of his football career ended up as the last play of the 2015-16 season, as he was inserted into the game in an attempt to block Stanford’s game-winning field goal in the Cardinal 38-36 victory on Nov. 28, 2015.
- Two-time Bookstore Basketball Team Champion and two-time Bookstore Basketball Most Valuable Player (2015 and 2016).
- Employed as a technician at Notre Dame’s Genomics and Bioinformatics Core Facility.
- Has served as an ambassador for Saint Joseph’s Regional Health System’s Family Medicine Center.
- A West Surburban Silver All-Conference and Academic All-Conference selection at Glenbard West High School.
- Ended his prep career as Glenbard West’s all-time leading shot blocker after averaging 4.3 in his senior season in 2011-12.
- Helped Glenbard West to a 10-0 start in 2011-12, the best in school history and was named the Daily Herald Player of the Week after a triple-double performance (17 points, 19 rebounds, 11 blocks) vs. Proviso West.
- Full name is Patrick Michael Mazza.
- Son of Michael and Mary Ellen Mazza, along with older sisters Mary Ellen and Katie and younger sister Mia.
- Both Michael and Mary Ellen Mazza attended the University of Notre Dame, with Michael graduating in 1986 and Mary Ellen in 1987.
- Sister, Mary Ellen, is a 2010 graduate of Notre Dame.
- Mother, Mary Ellen, started her collegiate career as a full scholarship track and field athlete at Texas A&M before transferring to Notre Dame.
- Father, Michael, was a Bengal Bouts champion in 1986.