MIKE BREY ON GIBBS
“T.J. will have an increased offensive role as he becomes more of a main guy and a starter. He needs to take the open shot and not turn it down because he is a good shooter. His energy and attacking style of play will help us.”
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- 2016-17 All-ACC Academic Team
- 2017 ACC Academic Honor Roll
- 2017 Notre Dame Newcomer of the Year
FRESHMAN SEASON (2016-17)
- Provided a spark off the bench against Boston College with four points, a team-high four assists, three rebounds and two steals - including both steals during a 15-0 run in the first half to help Notre Dame take control of the game.
- Made his first career start vs. No. 14/15 Florida State, logging 21 minutes, five points, two assists and a career-high matching four rebounds.
- Came off the bench to score 12 points, including 2-for-2 from 3FG range against No. 21/21 Duke.
- Played a career-high 25 minutes, scoring 12 points (first back-to-back double-digit scoring games of his career) at No. 10/12 Florida State, shooting 4-of-5 from the field with two 3FGs.
- Delivered huge bench minutes in the victory at Virginia Tech, scoring a career-high 13 points, shooting 5-of-7 from the floor.
- Played a key role in the road victory at Pittsburgh - his first career ACC game - stepping up in the second half off the bench to tie the game at 49-49 with a three pointer (13:32 remaining). Also deflected a handful of passes at the top of the 2-3 zone, allowing the Irish to get key defensive stops.
- Logged 20 minutes, scored 12 points and dished off a career-high seven assists in the victory over North Carolina A&T.
- Was all over the court in the victory over Seattle, scoring 11 points and leading the team in assists (five) and steals (three).
- Made his first career appearance in an Irish uniform in the season-opening victory over Bryant, playing 18 minutes, scoring his first career field goal, free throw, assist and steal against the Bulldogs.
- All-time leading scorer in Seton Hall Prep school history.
- First team all-state selection in 2015-16 after leading Seton Hall prep to a 29-1 record, averaging 20.6 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 3.6 apg and 2.4 spg.
- Participated in the Kentucky Derby All-Star Game in Louisville, Ky., and won the event’s three-point shooting competition.
- Invited to play in the Capital Classic in Washington, D.C.
- Full name is Temple Dupree Gibbs Junior.
- Son of Temple and Jacqui Gibbs along with older brothers Ashton and Sterling.
- Father, Temple, played football at Temple University.
- Brother, Ashton, played basketball at the University of Pittsburgh and currently plays for Indios SFM in the Dominican Republic.
- Brother, Sterling, played basketball at Texas, Seton Hall and Connecticut and was currently plays in Russia for BC Nizhny Novgorod.
- Enrolled in the College of Arts and Letters with a major in film, television and theatre.