Jan. 21, 2012
- Tonight's victory was Notre Dame's 10th all-time against a top-ranked team. Notre Dame is 10-23 all-time against No. 1 ranked teams. Eight of the victories have come against the top-ranked team in the Associated Press poll, which is the ranking the NCAA uses to recognize wins over No. 1 teams. The eight wins are tied for fourth nationally.
- This was Notre Dame's first win over a No. 1 since topping North Carolina, 60-58, on Feb. 1, 1987 inside Purcell Pavilion.
- The nine-point margin of victory was Notre Dame's second largest ever against a top-ranked team. The Fighting Irish defeated No. 1 San Francisco by 11 points (93-82) on March 5, 1977.
- Notre Dame has won an NCAA record six straight home games against No. 1 teams. The Irish are 7-3 at home against top-ranked teams.
- Tonight's win tied Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey with former Villanova head coach Rollie Massimino for fifth all-time on the BIG EAST wins list (both BIG EAST regular season and tournament). Brey is 123-86 (.589) in league regular-season and tournament play during his 12 seasons with the Irish. Tonight also was Brey's 250th win at Notre Dame. He has steered the Fighting Irish to a 250-128 (.661) record.
- This was the 43rd meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Syracuse. The Orange lead the series 24-19. Prior to tonight, Syracuse had won the last three games against Notre Dame.
- Eric Atkins (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Fr./G), Jack Cooley (Jr./F), Jerian Grant (So./G) and Scott Martin (Sr./G) started tonight's contest. It was the first time that quintet has started this season. Notre Dame has used nine different starting lineups this season (in 20 games played). No Notre Dame player has started every game. Grant and Martin both have a team-high 19 starts this season.
- Notre Dame never trailed in tonight's contest. The largest Irish lead was 18 points (35-17 with 1:28 left in the first half).
- Notre Dame shot 50.0% (8-16) from three-point land, a high for the Irish in BIG EAST play this season.
- The Irish held a 38-25 rebound advantage. Notre Dame is 7-0 this season when out-rebounding its opponent.
- The Fighting Irish led 35-23 at halftime. The Irish are 9-1 this season when leading at the intermission.
- Syracuse's 23 first-half points were its lowest total in an opening half this season ... the previous low was 24 versus Stanford (Nov. 25). The 58 total points from the Orange were a season-low mark ... the previous low was 62 versus Marshall (Dec. 6).
- The Irish held Syracuse to a season-low 34.0% (18-53) shooting from the field ... the previous low was 39.3% vs. Florida (Dec. 2).
- Notre Dame is 3-4 against ranked opponents this season.
- Notre Dame is 11-1 at home, 1-3 in true road games and 0-4 in neutral site contests this season.
- The Irish are 30-1 in their last 31 home games.
- A Pat Connaughton three-pointer early in the first half upped Notre Dame's streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 428.
Eric Atkins (So./G)
- Fouled out for the first time in his Notre Dame career
Pat Connaughton (Fr./G)
- Made his fourth start of the season and his first in BIG EAST play ... the Irish are 4-0 in games that he has started
Jack Cooley (Jr./F)
- Posted his team-best fifth double-double of the season with 17 points and 10 rebounds
- Both the 17 points and 10 rebounds were game-high totals ... he has led the Irish in scoring five times this season and he has produced a team-best rebound total on 12 occasions
- Scored in double-figures for the ninth time this season
- Has registered a double-digit rebound total a team-best seven times this season
Jerian Grant (So./G)
- Scored in double-figures (11 points) for a team-high 15th time this season
- Was a perfect 6-for-6 from the free throw line
Scott Martin (Sr./G)
- Scored in double-figures (13 points) for the fifth straight game and for the 10th time this season ... the five-game double-figure scoring streak is a season-best total for Martin