Jan. 29, 2012
- Today was the 27th meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Connecticut. The Huskies have a 17-10 advantage in the series, but the Irish have won four of the last five meetings.
- This was Notre Dame's second straight win at Connecticut. The Irish topped the Huskies, 70-67, last season in Storrs (March 5, 2011). Notre Dame is 3-10 all-time at Connecticut, including a 2-8 mark inside the XL Center. Today's win snapped a six-game losing streak inside the XL Center.
- This was Notre Dame's first win over a defending national champion since the Irish topped Connecticut 78-74 on Jan. 30, 2005 inside Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center. Notre Dame's only other win at the XL Center was a 75-70 triumph of defending national champion Connecticut on Jan. 5, 2000. Notre Dame is 4-2 against Connecticut when the Huskies are the defending national champion. The Fighting Irish are 11-26 all-time against defending national champions, including a 6-4 mark in the last 10 matchups against a defending champion.
- Connecticut's 48 points were its fewest ever against Notre Dame. The previous low was 50 in a 58-50 Notre Dame victory on March 3, 2010. Today was a season-low point total for the Huskies.
- Today's 50 points were a season-low point total for the Irish and were the fewest for Notre Dame in a victory since the Irish topped Pittsburgh 50-45 in the quarterfinals of the 2010 BIG EAST Tournament (March 11, 2010).
- Eric Atkins (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Fr./G), Jack Cooley (Jr./F), Jerian Grant (So./G) and Scott Martin (Sr./G) started today's contest. It was the third straight game - and third time overall this season - that quintet has started. The Irish are 3-0 with that starting lineup. No Notre Dame player has started every game. Grant and Martin both have a team-high 21 starts this season.
- The Irish had 13 assists on their 17 made field goals.
- The Fighting Irish trailed 24-21 at halftime. The Irish are 4-7 this season when trailing at the intermission.
- Notre Dame started the second half on a 13-0 run. Connecticut didn't score until the 12:51 mark of the second half.
- The Irish held a 33-29 rebound advantage. Notre Dame is 9-0 this season when out-rebounding its opponent.
- Notre Dame is 4-4 against ranked opponents this season.
- Notre Dame is 11-1 at home, 3-3 in true road games and 0-4 in neutral site contests this season. All three of Notre Dame's road wins have come in BIG EAST play. The Irish are 3-2 on the road in league play.
- A Jerian Grant three-pointer early in the first half upped Notre Dame's streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 430.
Eric Atkins (So./G)
- Scored a team-high 13 points ... has scored in double-figures 14 times this season (six times in BIG EAST play) ... has led the Irish in scoring a team-best eight times this season
Jerian Grant (So./G)
- Scored in double-figures (11 points) for a team-best 17th time this season (seven times in BIG EAST play)
- Had game-high totals in assists (6) and steals (3) ... the steal total matched a career-high mark
Scott Martin (Sr./G)
- Scored in double-figures (10 points) for the sixth time in the last seven games and for the 11th time overall this season (sixth time in BIG EAST play)