Feb. 19, 2012
Box Score |
- Notre Dame upped its win streak to eight games. That matches the longest BIG EAST win streak in program history. The Irish also won eight-straight league contests during the 2000-01 campaign, which was head coach Mike Brey's first at Notre Dame.
- Notre Dame has equaled the program's best start through 14 games of BIG EAST play. The 2000-01 Fighting Irish squad (Brey's first) also began league play with an 11-3 mark.
- Notre Dame has won its last four road games. It's the first time the Irish have won that many consecutive games on the road since they captured five straight during the 2000-01 season (Brey's first). All five of those wins occurred in BIG EAST play.
- The Fighting Irish overcame a 20-point deficit to win tonight's contest. Notre Dame was down 39-19 with 1:53 left in the first half.
- The Irish are 2-0 in overtime games this season. Notre Dame won at Louisville, 67-65, in double-overtime on Jan. 7. The Fighting Irish are 9-8 in overtime contests during the Mike Brey era (12 seasons).
- Notre Dame has won its last four games that have been decided by five points or fewer. The Irish are 10-1 in games decided by five or fewer points over the past two seasons. That includes a 4-1 mark this season.
- Junior forward Jack Cooley produced his fourth straight double-double (10th of the season) with 18 points and a game-high 13 rebounds. He is the first Notre Dame player to notch four consecutive double-doubles since Luke Harangody had four straight during the 2008-09 season (March 17-March 31).
- Tonight was the 34th meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Villanova. The Wildcats lead the series 18-16. Notre Dame is 6-5 against Villanova in the last 11 meetings. Head coach Mike Brey is 6-6 against Villanova during his Notre Dame tenure. That includes a 3-3 mark at Villanova.
- Eric Atkins (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Fr./G), Jack Cooley (Jr./F), Jerian Grant (So./G) and Scott Martin (Sr./G) started tonight's contest. It was the eighth straight game - and eighth time overall this season - that quintet has started. The Irish are 8-0 with that starting lineup. Grant and Martin both have a team-high 26 starts this season.
- The Irish were 12-of-31 from three-point range. That marked the fifth time this season (second time in BIG EAST play) that Notre Dame has made at least 10 three-pointers in a game. The Irish are 5-0 in those contests.
- The Irish only committed seven turnovers. That marked the 11th time this season (fifth time in BIG EAST play) that Notre Dame has committed fewer than 10 turnovers in a game.
- Notre Dame had an assist on 20 of its 25 made field goals.
- Notre Dame trailed 39-23 at halftime. The Irish are 5-7 this season when trailing at the intermission.
- Villanova's 39 first-half points tied the most allowed by Notre Dame in a BIG EAST game this season. Rutgers also had 39 first-half points against the Irish on Jan. 16.
- Villanova was 5-for-21 from the field in the second half. The five made field goals matched the fewest ever for an Irish opponent in any half of a BIG EAST contest (regular season or tournament). West Virginia had five in the second half on Jan. 9, 2002.
- Notre Dame is 14-1 at home, 5-3 in true road games and 0-4 in neutral site contests this season.
- An Eric Atkins three-pointer in the first half upped Notre Dame's streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 435.
Eric Atkins (So./G)
- Scored in double-figures (17 points) for the 18th time this season (10th time in BIG EAST play)
Pat Connaughton (Fr./G-F)
- Scored a team-high 21 points ... that was his third 20-plus point effort of the season (second in BIG EAST play) ... it was the third time he's led the Irish in scoring this season
- Was 7-for-12 from three-point range ... the seven made treys were a career-high total and the most for any Irish player this season
- Scored in double-figures for the second straight game and for the sixth time overall this season (third time in BIG EAST play) ... it marked the second time this season that he's scored in double-figures in consecutive games ... the first time it happened was in the second and third games of the season
Jack Cooley (Jr./F)
- Posted his fourth straight double-double with 18 points and 13 rebounds ... that is a personal-best double-double streak ... he has a team-best 10 double-doubles this season (eight in BIG EAST play)
- Has scored in double-figures 14 times this season (nine times in BIG EAST play) ... tonight was his fourth-straight double-digit scoring effort ... that ties a career-best double-figure scoring streak
- Tonight was his team-best 12th double-digit rebounding effort of the season (ninth in BIG EAST play)
Jerian Grant (So./G)
- Tallied 10 points ... has scored in double-figures in eight straight games ... that is a career-best streak and the longest such streak for any Notre Dame player this season
- Scored in double-figures for a team-best 22nd time this season (12th time in BIG EAST play)
- Matched a career-high total with nine assists