Feb. 23, 2011
Box Score |
2010-11 Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Notre Dame 94, Providence 93
February 23, 2011
Dunkin' Donuts Center • Providence, R.I.
- The 94-93 win improved Notre Dame to 22-5 overall and 11-4 in BIG EAST play.
- Tonight was the 24th meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Providence. The Irish lead the series 15-9, including eight straight victories over the Friars. Notre Dame has won the last six meetings in Providence.
- Notre Dame's 22-5 record signifies the best 27-game start under head coach Mike Brey.
- Notre Dame has registered 11 BIG EAST wins for the fourth time (out of 11 seasons) under head coach Mike Brey and for the first time since the Irish notched a school-record 14 league wins in 2007-08 (14-4).
- The Fighting Irish eclipsed the 90-point mark for the fifth time this season and for the first time in BIG EAST play. It was the first time Notre Dame reached the 90-point plateau in a BIG EAST game since a 93-78 victory over Providence last season. It was the highest point-total in a BIG EAST contest for the Irish since a 103-84 win over Providence during the 2008-09 campaign.
- Senior guard Ben Hansbrough scored a career-high 32 points. He has reached double-figures a team-high 25 times this season (out of 27 games). He has a team-best - and career-high tying - 10-game double-digit scoring streak. Hansbrough has scored 20-plus points a team-high 11 times this season. His 10 made field goals matched a career-high total.
- Ben Hansbrough's 32 points signified the first 30-point effort by an Irish player since Luke Harangody netted 37 last season versus Cincinnati.
- Tim Abromaitis scored a season-high 28 points. It was his ninth 20-plus point game of the season. Abromaitis has netted double-digits 22 times this season. His 11 made field goals matched a career-high total.
- Tim Abromaitis and Ben Hansbrough both scored 20 or more points in the same game for the third time this season. The other times were against Chicago State (Nov. 17) and Louisville (Feb. 9).
- Tim Abromaitis and Ben Hansbrough (17 points each) combined for 34 of Notre Dame's 48 first-half points.
- Scott Martin (10 points) scored in double-figures for the 16th time this season. He has reached double-figures in 12 of 15 BIG EAST games this season.
- Senior forward Tyrone Nash (13 points) scored in double-figures for the 14th time this season. Notre Dame is 13-1 this season when Nash scores 10 or more points. Nash also had eight rebounds and a career-high tying seven assists.
- Notre Dame dished out 20 assists on 32 made field goals. The Irish have compiled 20 or more assists in a game eight times this season (twice in BIG EAST play).
- Notre Dame held a 33-28 advantage in rebounds. The Irish are 18-1 this season when they out-rebound their opponent.
- Notre Dame was 21-30 from the free throw line, while Providence was 8-14. The Irish are 19-0 this season when making more free throws than their opponent.
- Carleton Scott hauled down a game-high 10 rebounds. That marked the eighth time this season he's had 10 or more rebounds in a game.
- Carleton Scott blocked three shots. That was the 15th time this season - and sixth straight contest - he has blocked at least two shots in a game. He has blocked three or more shots in a game seven times this season.
- Notre Dame is 20-3 this season when Carleton Scott has played. He missed four games earlier in the season with a hamstring injury.
- Tim Abromaitis' three-pointer just over a minute into the contest extended Notre Dame's streak to 401 straight games with a made three-pointer. The Fighting Irish have made at least one three pointer during every game of the Mike Brey era.
- Notre Dame shot 56.1% (32-57) from the floor for the game. That is Notre Dame's highest shooting percentage in a BIG EAST game this season. Notre Dame has shot 50% or above from the floor nine times this season (five times in BIG EAST play).
- Notre Dame led 48-38 at halftime. The Irish are 18-1 this season when leading at the intermission.
- Notre Dame's 48 first-half points signified the 12th time this season (fourth in BIG EAST play) the Irish have netted at least 40 points in the first half of play. The 48 points also were the most points scored by the Irish in any half of a BIG EAST game this season. The previous high was 46 points during the second half of the DePaul contest (Feb. 3). Notre Dame has scored 40 or more first-half points in three of the past four games.
- Seniors Carleton Scott (F), Tyrone Nash (F), Tim Abromaitis (F), Ben Hansbrough (G), and Scott Martin (G) started tonight's contest. It marked the 21st time this season that quintet has started. Notre Dame is 18-3 this season when that group of seniors comprise the starting five.
- Tyrone Nash, Tim Abromaitis and Ben Hansbrough have started all 27 games this season, while Scott Martin has 26 starts. Carleton Scott, who missed four games earlier this season with a hamstring injury, has started 22 contests.
- Senior forward Tyrone Nash extended his consecutive games played streak to a team-best 77 contests. Nash, Tim Abromaitis (Sr./F) and Ben Hansbrough (Sr./G) all have played in the past 62 games. Nash and Hansbrough both have started all 62 of those contests.