March 9, 2012
Notre Dame Postgame Notes
- Tonight was the 10th meeting all-time between Notre Dame and USF and the first-ever in the BIG EAST Championship. The Fighting Irish lead the series 9-1, which includes seven straight victories against the Bulls. Every meeting between the two schools has occurred since USF joined the BIG EAST in 2005.
- This is Notre Dame's 17th appearance in the BIG EAST Championship. The Irish are 9-16 all-time in the tournament, including an 8-11 mark under head coach Mike Brey. Notre Dame will be making its third straight trip to the league semifinals and its fifth semifinal appearance overall (all under Brey).
- The Fighting Irish are 5-5 in the quarterfinal round of the BIG EAST Championship. Notre Dame is 8-9 all-time in its first game of BIG EAST Championship play.
- Notre Dame has won at least one BIG EAST Championship game in each of the last four seasons. That is a program-best streak.
- The Irish are 1-1 in overtime games in the BIG EAST Championship. Their only other overtime game in the tournament was an 83-77 setback to Louisville in last season's semifinals.
- Notre Dame is 3-0 in overtime games this season and 6-1 in its last seven overtime contests. The Irish are 10-8 in overtime during the Mike Brey era.
- Scott Martin (10 pts., 12 rebs.) became the first Notre Dame player to record a double-double in BIG EAST Championship play since Luke Harangody (20 pts., 10 rebs.) in a second-round win over Seton Hall during the 2010 tournament.
- Eric Atkins (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Fr./G), Jack Cooley (Jr./F), Jerian Grant (So./G) and Scott Martin (Sr./G) started tonight's contest. It was the 13th straight game - and 13th time overall this season - that quintet has started. The Irish are 11-2 with that starting lineup. Grant and Martin both have a team-high 31 starts this season.
- After falling behind 20-8 at the 12:42 mark of the first half, Notre Dame went on an 18-0 run to grab a 26-20 lead with 3:55 left in the opening half.
- Notre Dame led 28-26 at halftime. The Irish are 16-1 this season when leading at the intermission.
- Tonight was the 15th time this season Notre Dame held an opponent under 60 points.
- Notre Dame only committed nine personal fouls. That is the fewest in program history in a BIG EAST Championship game. The previous low was 12 on four occasions.
- The Irish only committed eight turnovers. That marked the 15th time this season that Notre Dame committed fewer than 10 turnovers in a game.
- Notre Dame had an assist on 15 of its 18 made field goals.
- Notre Dame is 16-1 at home, 5-5 in true road games and 1-4 in neutral site contests this season.
- A Scott Martin three-pointer in the first half upped Notre Dame's streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 440.
Pat Connaughton (Fr./G-F)
- Scored in double-figures (12 points) for the eighth time this season
Jerian Grant (So./G)
- Scored in double-figures (12 points) for a team-best 25th time this season
Scott Martin (Sr./G)
- Notched his third double-double of the season with 10 points and 12 rebounds
- Scored in double-figures for the 17th time this season
- Has scored in double-figures in all three career BIG EAST Championship games
- Martin had 10 points and 11 rebounds.