March 11, 2010
Box Score |
2010 BIG EAST Championship
Presented by New York Life
Notre Dame 50, Pittsburgh 45
Records: Notre Dame (22-10); Pittsburgh (24-7)
- Notre Dame advances to the semifinal round of the BIG EAST Championship
Friday (9 p.m., ESPN). The Fighting Irish will face either Cincinnati
or West Virginia.
- Notre Dame has reached the BIG EAST tournament semifinals for the
third time. The Irish are 0-2 in previous semifinal games, having lost to
Georgetown in 2004 (84-82) and to Connecticut in 2002 (82-77).
- Notre Dame's 50 points are the fewest for the Irish in a BIG EAST tournament
game. The previous low was 54 points against Pittsburgh in the
- Notre Dame shot 52.9 percent from the field (18-of-34) -- a team high in
a BIG EAST tournament game.
- In holding Pittsburgh to 45 points, Notre Dame turned its best defensive
effort in its 21 BIG EAST tournament games.
- Pittsburgh scored its fewest points in a BIG EAST tournament game since
a 65-42 loss to Georgetown in the 2007 championship game.
- Notre Dame had 14 assists on 18 field goals.
- Notre Dame's senior class has won more games than any other class in
school history (93).
- Pittsburgh's loss was just the sixth by a No. 2 seed in its first BIG EAST
tournament game. No. 2 seeds are now 22-6 in the tournament (does not
include divisional years).