Nov. 3, 2017
By Robby Hamman
NOTRE DAME, Ind. -- In their second exhibition of the 2017-18 season, the Irish defeated crosstown opponent Bethel College by a final score of 88-59 on Friday evening inside Purcell Pavilion. Four Notre Dame players finished in double figures, led by Bonzie Colson's 19 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Irish built a 16-point lead over the first 20 minutes of action, leading the Pilots 44-28 at the halftime break. Notre Dame shot 18-of-37 from the floor, spurred by Colson's 6-of-10 performance for 15 points. Gibbs also had a solid performance, adding nine points in the first frame.
The Irish used a massive 24-1 run midway through the second stanza to break away from Bethel. The Notre Dame defense locked down and held the Pilots without a field goal for a stretch of 7:20 in the second half to pull away and win by a final score of 88-59.
PLAYER OF THE GAME
Colson showed why he has been named the ACC Preseason Player of the Year, posting a double-double while leading the team in points (19), rebounds (11) and blocks (3) on the evening.
NOTRE DAME STAT OF THE GAME
The Irish dominated underneath, outscoring the Pilots 50-24 in the paint for the contest.
NOTES OF THE GAME
- With the win, the Irish are 36-0 in exhibitions under Brey.
- Four players finished in double figures against Bethel.
- T.J. Gibbs scored 18 points, including finishing a perfect 10-for-10 from the free-throw line.
- Martinas Geben notched a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds. The senior was an efficient 5-of-6 from the field.
- Matt Farrell scored 10 points, while also pacing the Irish in assists with seven.
- Both Farrell and Rex Pflueger created havoc defensively, each accounting for four steals.
- The Irish won the turnover battle, commiting eight to Bethel's 19.
Notre Dame plays its final preseason tune-up against Cardinal Stritch at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Nov. 7 inside Purcell Pavilion.
To purchase tickets visit UND.com/BuyTickets.
Robby Hamman joined Fighting Irish Media as athletics communications assistant director in September 2016, coordinating efforts for the volleyball and men's lacrosse program. Hamman is a 2010 graduate of Bethel College, where he earned bachelor's degrees in sport management and business administration, and earned his master's degree in business administration from Defiance College in 2013.