Dec. 19, 2016
By Robby Hamman
NOTRE DAME, Ind. -- No. 25/24 Notre Dame (10-2) used a 20-point performance from senior forward V.J. Beachem to defeat Colgate (2-10) by a final score of 77-62 on Monday evening inside Purcell Pavilion. With the win Notre Dame improves to 8-0 when playing at home this season.
Beachem's 20 points led the Irish offense. Junior forward Bonzie Colson added 13 points and junior guard Matt Farrell also chipped in 13 points to deliver the Irish the win. Farrell's performance was extra special, as it came in front of his brother Bo, who returned from serving in the military in Afghanistan. Bo surprised Matt and his family on the floor after the game.
— Notre Dame MBB (@NDmbb) December 20, 2016
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Irish never trailed against the Raiders. Holding a five-point lead at 20-15 with over six minutes to play in the half, Notre Dame finished the half by outscoring Colgate 16-5 to end the opening 20 minutes of play and build a 16-point advantage at the break. The Irish defense stifled the Raiders' offense, holding the visitors to 5-of-24 shooting (20.8 percent).
After building the large halftime lead the Irish never relinquished control of the game in the second stanza, as Notre Dame's lead peaked at 21 points with the score 64-43 with seven minutes left in regulation. The Irish advantage never fell below 10 points, as the team won by a final score of 77-62.
NOTRE DAME PLAYERS OF THE GAME
Beachem had the shooters touch against Colgate, hitting a career-high six shots from three point range to finish with 20 points, just two points shy of matching his career best mark of 22. The Fort Wayne, Indiana, native finished 7-of-13 shooting from the floor, including a 6-of-10 effort from distance. Beachem also added three steals, two rebounds, two asssists and one block to propel Notre Dame to the win.
NOTRE DAME STAT OF THE GAME
Entering the night ranked first in the ACC and 11th in the nation in assists per game, the Irish improved their average by recording 23 assists on 28 made baskets. Seven players recorded multiple assists, as Farrell led the team with seven and Vasturia recorded four.
NOTES OF THE GAME
- The Irish improve to 5-0 against Colgate in the all-time series.
- Notre Dame is now 8-0 this season when playing in Purcell Pavilion.
- The Irish allowed Colgate to score just 20 points in the first half, marking the fewest the squad has given up in a half all season.
- Notre Dame knocked down 14 shots from beyond the arc, marking the seventh time this season the team has connected on 10-plus three pointers.
- The Irish dished out 23 assists in the contest and have now posted 20-plus assists in six outings this season.
- Colson scored 13 points and has now scored 10-plus points in all 12 games during his junior campaign.
- With 20 points, Beachem has now reached double figures in 11 of 12 games this season.
- Farrell led the team in assists with seven and has now dished out six or more assists in nine games this season.
The Irish return to action after Christmas in a home contest against St. Peters to close out the non-conference portion of their schedule. Tip is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 28 inside Purcell Pavilion. To purchase tickets visit UND.com/BuyTickets.
Robby Hamman joined Fighting Irish Media as athletics communications assistant director in September 2016, coordinating efforts for the volleyball and men's lacrosse program. Hamman is a 2010 graduate of Bethel College, where he earned bachelor's degrees in sport management and business administration, and earned his master's degree in business administration from Defiance College in 2013.