June 7, 2018
The field for the 2018 Gotham Classic has been announced and for the first time in the 111 years of Notre Dame men’s basketball, the Irish will host a complete in-season tournament event at home in Purcell Pavilion. UIC (November 6), Radford (November 14) and William & Mary (November 17) will visit Purcell Pavilion for the Notre Dame Regional of the Gotham Classic, followed by the tournament Showcase Game between Duquesne and the Irish on November 20.
"With an international trip this summer, plus games in Madison Square Garden and at UCLA, it was a priority to get as many home games as possible for our developing group this year,” Glenn and Stacey Murphy Head Men’s Basketball Coach Mike Brey said.
“We will be challenged by all four of these teams, who are among the top emerging programs in the country right now."
The Gotham Classic, run by the Gazelle Group, is an ‘multi-team exempt’ college basketball event (or MTE), allowing all four contests to count as just one toward the cap of 31 scheduled games on the 2018-19 Notre Dame schedule. While this will mark the first time the Irish will host an entire event at home, many programs across the country including Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio State have hosted similar tournaments over the past few years.
2018 Gotham Classic Notre Dame Regional Round
November 6, 2018 - Notre Dame vs. UIC, 7 p.m. ET
November 14, 2018 - Notre Dame vs. Radford, 7 p.m. ET
November 17, 2018 - Notre Dame vs. William & Mary, 12 p.m. ET
November 20, 2018 - Notre Dame vs. Duquesne, 7 p.m. ET
Gotham Classic Notes
- UIC finished 20-16 in 2017-18 and advanced to the championship game of the CollegeInsider.com post-season tournament.
- The 2017-18 season was UIC’s first 20-win season since 2004 and the Flames posted a school-record nine road victories during the season.
- November 6 will mark Notre Dame’s first-ever meeting with UIC.
- Radford finished 23-13 in 2017-18 and defeated LIU Brooklyn in the NCAA First Four after claiming the Big South Championship.
- November 14 will mark the first-ever meeting between Notre Dame and Radford.
- William & Mary finished 19-12 in the Colonial Athletic Conference last season.
- November 17 will mark the second meeting between the Irish and Tribe, as Notre Dame won 90-45 on December 30, 1982.
- The Notre Dame - William & Mary game will be played at Noon ET to avoid conflict with the Notre Dame - Syracuse game set for Yankee Stadium at 2:30 p.m. ET.
- Duquesne finished 16-16 in 2017-18 and claimed three victories in the Continental Tire Las Vegas Classic.
- Notre Dame is 2-5 all-time against the Dukes, with the most recent meeting a 77-62 Irish victory in Purcell Pavilion on Feb. 8, 1995.
- Duquesne posted five straight wins over Notre Dame from 1971 through 1995, including an upset of No. 9/10 Notre Dame on January 18, 1971.
- Notre Dame’s last appearance in the Gotham Classic occurred in 2013 - the Irish defeated Delaware and Bryant, before falling to North Dakota State in Purcell Pavilion.
- The 2013 Gotham Classic Showcase Game took place in Madison Square Garden, where No. 3/2 Ohio State needed a last minute rally to knock off the Irish.
Full Gotham Classic Schedule
Nov. 6 - UIC at Notre Dame
Nov. 9 - UIC at Radford
Nov. 10 - William & Mary at Duquesne
Nov. 12 - UIC at Duquesne
Nov. 14 - Radford at Notre Dame
Nov. 15 - William & Mary at UIC
Nov. 17 - William & Mary at Notre Dame
Nov. 17 - Radford at Duquesne
Nov. 20 - Duquesne at Notre Dame
Nov. 20 - Radford at William & Mary