June 29, 2017
The University of Notre Dame men’s basketball team has released its non-conference schedule for the 2017-18 season. The slate features several challenging contests away from Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center, including an appearance in the 2017 Maui Invitational.
Among the away games that make up the schedule, Notre Dame will travel to DePaul for the first game of the 2017-18 season and help the Blue Demons dedicate Wintrust Arena - the program’s new downtown facility at McCormick Square in Chicago, Illinois. The ACC/Big Ten Challenge will require a trip to East Lansing, Michigan, to face Michigan State and the Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis, Indiana, will feature the Irish against in-state rival Indiana.
DePaul (106), Michigan State (95) and Indiana (71) represent the third, fourth and sixth-most prolific series in Notre Dame basketball history. Factor in a possible matchup with Marquette (118 meetings) in the Maui Invitational and the Irish are matching up with a handful of their long time traditional basketball rivals.
Add in the journey to Maui in late November and a trip to Delaware, where former Irish assistant Martin Ingelsby patrols the sidelines, and the ‘Road Dogs’ - as the team refers to themselves when facing a game away from Purcell Pavilion - will be tested early in the season.
The Irish will face Mount St. Mary’s, Chicago State, St. Francis Brooklyn, Ball State, Dartmouth and Southeast Louisiana during the months of November and December at Purcell Pavilion. The exhibition season will begin with a matchup against Bethel College and Cardinal Stritch returns for an exhibition matchup for the first time since 2012.
Bethel College (exhibition), Nov. 3, 2017, Purcell Pavilion
- Bethel College is located in Mishawaka, Indiana, which shares its west border with the east border of South Bend, Indiana.
- The Pilots have won seven NAIA or NCCAA national championships, the most recent in 2007.
- Mike Lightfoot, who coached Bethel for 30 years, recently retired and his son, Ryne, is in his first season as head coach of the Pilots.
- The Notre Dame - Bethel College exhibition will take place Friday night before the Notre Dame - Wake Forest football game, scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 4.
Cardinal Stritch (exhibition), Nov. 7, 2017, Purcell Pavilion
- Cardinal Stritch is a Roman Catholic institution located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and competes in NAIA.
- Cardinal Stritch will be making its second exhibition visit to Notre Dame. The Irish defeated the Wolves 70-56 on November 2, 2012.
At DePaul, Nov. 11, 2017, Wintrust Arena
- Notre Dame will open the season at DePaul and help the Blue Demons dedicate the Winstrust Arena at McCormick Square.
- The 2017 season will be the first in the Mike Brey era (since 2000-01) that the Irish will begin the season on the road.
- Notre Dame last began a season on the road when it faced Ohio State in the 1999 Preseason NIT on Nov. 16, 1999. David Graves hit a 15-foot jumper at the buzzer as the Irish upset No. 4 Ohio State 59-57.
- Notre Dame and DePaul have met 106 times (the second-most prolific series in Notre Dame history behind the 118 meetings with Marquette) with the Irish leading the all-time series 62-44.
- Notre Dame has also participated in the opening of Hinkle Fieldhouse (March 7, 1928), the first college basketball doubleheader at Madison Square Garden against NYU (Dec. 29, 1934, King’s College William S. Scandlon Physical Education Center Grand Opening on Dec. 3, 1968, the dedication of the State Farm Center at Illinois (Dec. 2, 2015) and the Athletics-Recreation Center Dedication Game at Valparaiso on Dec. 8, 1984.
Mount St. Mary’s, Nov. 13, 2017, Purcell Pavilion
- Mount St. Mary’s will be making its third trip to Notre Dame, the first since 2014, for the 2017-18 Notre Dame home opener.
- The 2017 Northeast Conference Champions, Mount St. Mary’s finished 20-16 in 2016-17, 14-4 in conference and 8-11 on the road. The Mountaineers advanced to the NCAA tournament and fell to top-seeded Villanova in the first round after defeating New Orleans in the First Four.
- The Irish are 2-0 all-time against ‘The Mount’ and 27-0 against the Northeast Conference.
Chicago State, Nov. 16, 2017, Purcell Pavilion
- Chicago State will be making its second consecutive appearance in Purcell Pavilion and third in the past four seasons.
- Notre Dame is 4-0 all-time against Cougars, a member of the Western Athletic Conference
- The Cougars finished 6-26 in 2016-17, 2-17 on the road and 1-13 in the WAC.
Maui Invitational, Nov. 20-22, 2017, Lahaina Civic Center
- The 34th edition of the Maui Jim Maui Invitational features Notre Dame, California, LSU, Marquette, Michigan, VCU and Wichita State.
- Matchups for the tournament will be announced in late summer of 2017.
- Notre Dame will be making its third trip to Maui for the Invitational (1993, 2008).
At Michigan State, Nov. 30, 2017, Breslin Center
- This game is the final contest of the 2017 ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
- Notre Dame is 3-1 in the event since joining the ACC, including three wins in a row and a 79-78 overtime victory over Michigan State in Purcell Pavilion on Dec. 3, 2014.
- Notre Dame and Michigan State have met 95 times (the fourth-most prolific series in Notre Dame hoops history) but only once (the 2014 meeting) since 1979.
- The Irish have never played in the Breslin Center, all previous meetings between the Irish and Spartans in East Lansing occurred at Jenison Fieldhouse, Demonstration Hall or The Armory.
- Notre Dame and Michigan State met, on average, twice each season from 1913 through 1957 (there are a few select seasons the two teams did not meet during that stretch).
St. Francis Brooklyn, Dec. 3, 2017, Purcell Pavilion
- St. Francis Brooklyn (also St. Francis New York) will be making its third trip to Purcell Pavilion, and the first of the Mike Brey Era (last visit to Notre Dame occurred in 1998).
- The Terriers finished 4-27 in 2016-17, 2-16 in the Northeast Conference and 0-16 on the road.
Ball State, Dec. 5, 2017, Purcell Pavilion
- The Irish welcome in-state opponent Ball State for the first time since 1976.
- Notre Dame is 9-0 all-time against the Cardinals, the first meeting occurred in 1933 and the most recent meeting a 119-78 victory on January 14, 1976.
- Ball State finished 21-13 in 2016-17, 11-7 in the MAC and 7-7 on the road.
- The Cardinals took part in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament last season, falling to Fort Wayne in the first round.
At Delaware, Dec. 9, 2017, Bob Carpenter Center
- Irish head coach Mike Brey returns to Newark, Delaware, for the first time after leading the Blue Hens from 1995-2000.
- Brey finished 99-52 at Delaware, his first collegiate head coaching opportunity and helped the Blue Hens earn two NCAA tournament berths.
- Former Irish captain and assistant coach Martin Ingelsby is entering his second season at Delaware in 2016-17, helping the Blue Hens finish 13-20 in 2016-17, 9-5 at home and 5-13 in the Colonial Athletic Association.
- The Delaware coaching staff also features former Irish player Torrian Jones 2001-04 as an assistant coach and former Notre Dame video coordinator Pat Rogers (‘10) as the team’s Director of Basketball Operations.
Vs. Indiana, Dec. 16, 2017, Crossroads Classic, Bankers Life Fieldhouse
- The seventh-annual Crossroads Classic is set for Dec. 16, 2017 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Notre Dame and Indiana will be meeting for the fourth time in the event, with the Hoosiers holding a 2-1 advantage from the three previous meetings.
- Notre Dame is 3-3 in the full history of the event, with a 2-2 record against Purdue.
- The Irish and Hoosiers will be meeting for the 71st time, the sixth-most prolific series in Notre Dame hoops history.
Dartmouth, Dec. 19, 2017, Purcell Pavilion
- Dartmouth will be making its fifth trip to Purcell Pavilion and the first since 2011 (a 64-47 Notre Dame victory on Dec. 20).
- The Irish and Big Green first met at the Cleveland Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, on Dec. 27, 1946 (a 66-55 Irish victory).
- Notre Dame is 5-0 all-time against the Big Green.
- Dartmouth finished the 2016-17 season 7-20, 4-10 in the Ivy League and 4-11 on the road.
- Notre Dame is 46-4 all-time against Ivy League teams.
Southeastern Louisiana, Dec. 21, 2017, Purcell Pavilion
- Southeastern Louisiana and Notre Dame are meeting for the first time.
- A member of the Southland Conference, the Lions finished 16-16 in 2016-17 and 5-12 on the road.
- Notre Dame is 6-0 all-time against the Southland Conference (3-0 vs. New Orleans, 2-0 vs. Sam Houston State and 1-0 against Stephen F. Austin).
Game times will be announced when the full 2017-18 schedule becomes available in the early fall of 2017. The Irish do know what their combination of ACC opponents this year will be, with dates and times to be released when the full schedule is official.
Home/Road: Boston College, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, NC State
Home: Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Pitt
Road: Clemson, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Syracuse
Irish fans can make deposits for season tickets today at und.com. Single game tickets will be available in October.