Nov. 8, 2017
The University of Notre Dame men’s basketball team and Glenn and Stacey Murphy Head Men’s Basketball Coach Mike Brey have announced the signing of four highly rated student-athletes to National Letters of Intent to attend the University and compete in basketball starting in the 2018-19 season.
Robby Carmody, a 6-4 guard out of Mars, Pennsylvania; Dane Goodwin, a 6-5 guard out of Upper Arlington, Ohio; Prentiss Hubb, a 6-3 point guard out of Upper Marlboro, Maryland; and Nate Laszewski, a 6-10 forward out of Jupiter, Florida; have become members of arguably the best incoming class of the Brey era.
“We are thrilled about this group,” Brey said after all the letters of intent were received. “It is maybe the best group we have put together in my 18 years at Notre Dame. All of the guys have won big, play with an edge and are a great fit for how we do things in our culture.”
Among the national recruiting services rankings, the class is ranked seventh by 24/7 Sports and 11th by Rivals. All four players rank among the top 100 in the major recruiting services individual rankings.
Guard | 6-4 | 200
Mars Area High School
Mike Brey on Carmody:
“I love Robby’s strength and the edge that he plays with. Has a great toughness like a lot of guys that come out of western Pennsylvania. A son of a coach with a high basketball I.Q. and a great feel for the game.”
- Entering his senior season, Carmody is already the all-time leading scorer in Mars Area history with 1,456 points. He also owns the Mars Area records for single-season points (603), career free throws (334) and highest single-season field-goal percentage (68%).
- Averaged 26.2 points and 12 rebounds per game in 2016-17.
- Finalist for 2016-17 Ohio Gatorade Player of the Year.
- Has led Mars Area to 66 victories in three seasons.
- Averaged 19.3 points per game for The Ohio Basketball Club on the Adidas Gauntlet.
- Boasts a 4.0 GPA and is a member of the National Honor Society.
- Son of Rob and Stephanie Carmody with brother, Michael, and sister, Mackenzie.
- Father, Rob, has been the head coach at Mars Area for 20 years and was the Pennsylvania 3A Coach of the Year in 2016.
Guard | 6-5 | 205
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Upper Arlington High School
Mike Brey on Goodwin:
“Dane is a big-time shooter but also has an excellent feel for the game. He is sneaky athletic and has a great toughness and edge. He is a winner and knows how to play the game as the son of a coach.”
- Set the Upper Arlington record for single-season points (688, 25.5 per game) and rebounds (275) in 2016-17.
- Also holds the Upper Arlington record for career points (1,349) and rebounds (594).
- Led Upper Arlington to a 24-3 record and the 2016-17 Ohio Capital Conference (OCC) championship.
- Has also lettered all three years of high school in golf, earning first-team OCC honors in 2016-17.
- Member of the AAU All-Ohio Red U-16 Peach Jam championship team.
- Son of Damon and Danielle Goodwin with brother, Grant, and sister, Addie.
- Father, Damon, is the all-time winningest head coach at Capital University, played basketball at the University of Dayton from 1982-83 through 1985-86 and was a seventh-round draft pick of the Phoenix Suns in 1986. Dayton was 1-4 against Notre Dame during Goodwin’s playing time at Dayton.
- Brother, Grant, played college baseball at Division III Wittenburg and graduated in 2013.
- Sisters, Addie, played club volleyball at the University of Dayton and graduated in 2014.
Guard | 6-3 | 175
Upper Marlboro, Md.
Gonzaga College High School
Brey on Hubb:
“Prentiss is an athletic point guard with great court vision. He is a capable shooter and crafty defender with great hands on the defensive end of the floor. A scoring point guard.”
- Has led Gonzaga through two Washington Catholic Athletic Conference (WCAC) championships (2016 and 2017) and is a two-time WCAC first-team all-conference selection.
- Averaged 13.9 points per game and led Gonzaga to the 2017 WCAC championship with a 32-5 record.
- A three-time Under Armour All-American.
- Twice invited to the Steph Curry Under Armour skills camp.
- Suffered a knee injury in the summer of 2017 and will be sidelined for his senior season at Gonzaga.
Forward | 6-10 | 205
Northfield Mount Hermon (Mass.)
Brey on Laszewski:
“Nate is a stretch four man who really shoots it from deep. He as great size and athletic ability. He is able to put it on the floor and get to the basket. Another high basketball I.Q. guy with a big time shooting stroke.”
- Played for Avon High School in Avon, Connecticut, early in his high school career, then shifted to Northfield Mount Hermon (NMH) in Gill, Massachusetts, in his sophomore and junior seasons.
- A first-team all-Connecticut selection at Avon in 2015.
- Led NMH to the 2016 New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) championship and was named the most valuable player of the championship game.
- Helped his AAU team, the New England Playaz, to a runner-up finish at the 2017 Adidas Gauntlet.
- Son of Jay and Stacy Laszewski with sisters Abby and Emma.
- Father, Jay, played basketball at Wisconsin from 1982-86.
- Sister, Abby, is a sophomore on the Wisconsin women’s basketball team.
- The Laszewski family has lived in Belgium, Australia, Connecticut and Florida.