Nov. 14, 2017
The University of Notre Dame men’s basketball team and Glenn and Stacey Murphy Head Men’s Basketball Coach Mike Brey have announced the signing of Chris Doherty, a 6-7 forward out of Marlborough, Massachusetts, to a National Letter of Intent to attend the University of Notre Dame and compete on the basketball court.
Doherty joins the highly rated class of Robby Carmody, a 6-4 guard out of Mars, Pennsylvania; Dane Goodwin, a 6-5 guard out of Upper Arlington, Ohio; Prentiss Hubb, a 6-3 point guard out of Upper Marlboro, Maryland; and Nate Laszewski, a 6-10 forward out of Jupiter, Florida, to make up one of the largest and most talented incoming group of players in the Brey era.
“We are thrilled about this group,” Brey said after all the letters of intent were received. “It is maybe the best group we have put together in my 18 years at Notre Dame. All of the guys have won big, play with an edge and are a great fit for how we do things in our culture.”
Among the national recruiting services rankings, the class is ranked third by ESPN, seventh by 24/7 Sports and 11th by Rivals.
Forward | 6-7 | 225
Marlborough High School
Mike Brey on Doherty:
“Chris is your blue-collar workman-like banger. A very physical front-line guy. He has a nose for the ball, is an excellent rebounder and plays with a great edge and a great energy that is contagious to those that play with him.”
- Led Marlborough to the state title game as a freshman, finishing with 17 points and 21 rebounds in a two-point loss.
- Finished his freshman season at Marlborough averaging 16.3 points and 13.2 rebounds per game, then pushing those averages to 22.8 points and 14.3 rebounds per contest in the state tournament.
- Member of the AAU team New England Playaz with fellow 2017-18 Notre Dame signee Nate Laszewski.
- Helped the New England Playaz to a second-place finish at the Adidas Uprising 17U Championship in the summer of 2017.
- From the same high school as 2016 Notre Dame graduate and 2016 Monogram Club Men’s Basketball Team Most Valuable Player Zach Auguste.
- Averaged 16.0 points per game for Marlborough in 2016-17.