Irish walk-on won a monogram in '98 thanks to special team contributions - and again should assist '99 Notre Dame squad in that category, as well as a backup receiver . . . third-year squad member has proved to be solid enough blocker to earn slot on return teams . . . talented all-around player who has worked his way up the ladder after originally joining squad in spring of '97.
AS A JUNIOR: Played in all 12 games in 1998 for Irish as reserve wide receiver . . . earned a monogram thanks to 59 regular-season special team appearances with kickoff return and punt return squads, then made eight more in '99 Gator Bowl vs. Georgia Tech . . . saw action vs. Michigan and Navy as receiver . . . had one kickoff return for 13 yards vs. USC.
AS A SOPHOMORE: Did not see game action in '97 as walk-on wide receiver.
HIGH SCHOOL AND PERSONAL DATA: Won two letters in football as strong safety at Klein High School in Klein, Texas . . . helped teams to conference and regional championships his junior and senior campaigns, earning all-league honors both seasons . . . finished with 180 career tackles . . . won two letters in track while competing in hurdles and pole vault . . . father Ricky played football at Tulane . . . brother Jason played football at Rice . . . full name is Johnathan J. Hebert . . . second-oldest of 11 children . . . born 7-8-78 in Lafayette, La. . . . enrolled in College of Engineering, with major in mechanical engineering . . . boasts 3.014 cumulative grade-point average.
G-GS Time KO Ret. Yds. Avg. TD LG 1998 11-0 1:13 1 13 13.0 0 13
The Johnathan Hebert File
- The Irish offensive player who will surprise people this year is Javin Hunter
- The Irish defensive player who will surprise people this year is Anthony Denman
- The sports team I followed when I was younger was The New Orleans Saints
- A word to describe me on the field is Persistent
- A word to describe me off the field is Relaxed
- Other than Notre Dame Stadium, my favorite college stadium in which to play football is Sun Devil Stadium
- The area I would like to improve as a football player is Quickness
- If I could play another position on the other side of the ball it would be Strong safety
- My greatest personal athletic moment was My first play on Notre Dame Stadium field against Michigan
- The most stimulating class I ever took at Notre Dame was Memoirs of Madness (Philosophy)
- If I could compete against any Notre Dame athlete (non-football), it would be Skylard Owens (men's basketball)
- The people who have helped me the most since I've been at Notre Dame are My parents
- The top three teams in college football this year will be Notre Dame, USC and Tennessee