AS A JUNIOR: Starter at right defensive end after the injury to starter Grant Irons. . . registered career-high four tackles vs. Nebraska, Michigan State and Rutgers . . . made first career start vs. Purdue . . . notched a sack in each of the first four games to become the first Notre Dame player to register a sack in four straight games since Kory Minor did it in 1996 . . . did not start vs. Navy and Rutgers as Irish opened in nickel and dime packages . . . recovered two fumbles vs. Scarlet Knights, one setting up a Terrance Howard touchdown . . . played in all 12 games and started eight - including vs. Oregon State in 2001 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl . . . had five tackles, including one for two-yard loss, vs. Oregon State.
AS A SOPHOMORE: Played in 10 games in '99 - all but Purdue and Stanford - as reserve Irish defensive end . . . had two tackles each vs. Kansas and Michigan State . . . played more than 11 minutes at end vs. Tennessee.
AS A FRESHMAN: Did not see varsity action as rookie outside linebacker in '98.
HIGH SCHOOL AND PERSONAL DATA: USA Today honorable mention All-America pick . . . earned three letters in football at Haddenfield Memorial High School in Haddenfield, N.J. . . . played tailback and defensive end as senior in '97, earning all-state honors as senior . . . rushed for 1,243 yards in '97 and scored 18 touchdowns and also handled punts and kickoffs . . . made 64 tackles, including 18 sacks and 16 tackles for losses . . . helped team to 7-2 and 6-3 marks in '96 and '97 for school's first back-to-back winning seasons since 1968-69 . . . captain of team as senior . . . first-team all-conference and Camden Courier-Post all-South Jersey as junior . . . . . . selected for New Jersey-New York Governors' Bowl all-star game . . . earned three letters in track, captaining the team as junior and senior and helping team win four straight league titles . . . had bests of 49-1 in shot and 126-4 in discus . . . uncle Lenard Hall played basketball at Florida State . . . full name is Ryan Lanier Roberts . . . born 8-11-80 in Camden, N.J. . . . earned 3.067 grade-point average in 2000 spring semester . . . enrolled in College of Science with science/business combination major.
The Ryan Roberts File
- I chose Notre Dame because the tradition and high quality of individuals who make this place so great
- My favorite place on campus is the parking lots
- The Irish offensive player who will surprise people this year is Julius Jones
- The Irish defensive player who will surprise people this year is Gerome Sapp
- A word to describe me on the field is laid back
- A word to describe me off the field is insightful
- The people who have helped me the most since I've been at Notre Dame are my parents, my roomates and Elizabeth Bracken
- The best advice I have ever been given is "Get off Instant Messenger and do your work"
- If I could bring anything from my hometown it would be the accents and the food
- When my football days are over I will be well rested and bleeding less often
- I would like to switch places for the day with Ricky Martin
- If I could have dinner with any three people in history, they would be Gordon Sumner, Scott Thompson, Audrey Hepburn
- If I could compete against any Notre Dame athlete (non-football), it would be Jen Berarducci
- Who will Notre Dame play in the 2002 Rose Bowl for the national championship? Whichever team will accept the loss