AS A SENIOR: Recorded first two tackles of season vs. Michigan State. . . recorded three more tackles vs. Texas A&M?made first start of the season vs. Pittsburgh. . .started and made three tackles vs. West Virginia?recorded three sacks vs. USC, after having six sacks in his career prior to that game. . .recorded one tackle vs. Tennessee before suffering a torn MCL. . .injury will cause him to miss the rest of the season.
AS A JUNIOR: Starter at right defensive end after the injury
to starter Grant Irons. . . registered career-high four tackles vs.
Nebraska, Michigan State and Rutgers . . . made first career start vs.
Purdue . . . notched a sack in each of the first four games to become the
first Notre Dame player to register a sack in four straight games since
Kory Minor did it in 1996 . . . did not start vs. Navy and Rutgers as
opened in nickel and dime packages . . . recovered two fumbles vs. Scarlet
Knights, one setting up a Terrance Howard touchdown . . . played in all 12
games and started eight - including vs. Oregon State in 2001 Tostitos
Fiesta Bowl . . . had five tackles, including one for two-yard loss, vs.
AS A SOPHOMORE: Played in 10 games in '99 - all but Purdue
and Stanford - as reserve Irish defensive end . . . had two tackles each
vs. Kansas and Michigan State . . . played more than 11 minutes at end vs.
AS A FRESHMAN: Did not see varsity action as rookie outside
linebacker in '98.
HIGH SCHOOL AND PERSONAL DATA: USA Today honorable
mention All-America pick . . . earned three letters in football at
Haddenfield Memorial High School in Haddenfield, N.J. . . . played
tailback and defensive end as senior in '97, earning all-state honors as
senior . . . rushed for 1,243 yards in '97 and scored 18 touchdowns and
also handled punts and kickoffs . . . made 64 tackles, including 18 sacks
and 16 tackles for losses . . . helped team to 7-2 and 6-3 marks in '96
'97 for school's first back-to-back winning seasons since 1968-69 . . .
captain of team as senior . . . first-team all-conference and Camden
Courier-Post all-South Jersey as junior . . . . . . selected for New
Jersey-New York Governors' Bowl all-star game . . . earned three letters
track, captaining the team as junior and senior and helping team win four
straight league titles . . . had bests of 49-1 in shot and 126-4 in discus
. . . uncle Lenard Hall played basketball at Florida State . . . full name
is Ryan Lanier Roberts . . . born 8-11-80 in Camden, N.J. . . . earned
3.067 grade-point average in 2000 spring semester . . . enrolled in
College of Science with science/business combination major.
| ? ||G-GS||Solo||Asst.||Tot.||Sacks||TL||FR|
The Ryan Roberts File
- I chose Notre Dame because the tradition and high quality of individuals who make this place so great
- My favorite place on campus is the parking lots
- The Irish offensive player who will surprise people this year is Julius Jones
- The Irish defensive player who will surprise people this year is Gerome Sapp
- A word to describe me on the field is laid back
- A word to describe me off the field is insightful
- The people who have helped me the most since I've been at Notre Dame are my parents, my roomates and Elizabeth Bracken
- The best advice I have ever been given is "Get off Instant Messenger and do your work"
- If I could bring anything from my hometown it would be the accents and the food
- When my football days are over I will be well rested and bleeding less often
- I would like to switch places for the day with Ricky Martin
- If I could have dinner with any three people in history, they would be Gordon Sumner, Scott Thompson, Audrey Hepburn
- If I could compete against any Notre Dame athlete (non-football), it would be Jen Berarducci
- Who will Notre Dame play in the 2002 Rose Bowl for the national championship? Whichever team will accept the loss