Sunday Brunch by John Heisler
Irish head coach discusses Saturday's Shamrock Series game at Fenway Park.
Head coach Brian Kelly speaks with the media
Hear from Notre Dame coaches and players as they continue preparations for Sept. 5 opener vs. Texas.
Insider John Heisler reports live from the four-day camp at Culver Academies.
The Notre Dame football team continues its 2012 spring practice schedule and UND.com continues its daily report with a look at the team's first scrimmage of the season and onto the field with tight ends coach Scott Booker.
Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly meets with the media to talk about recent changes to the coaching staff for the 2012 season.
The Notre Dame Spring Blue-Gold game was held at Notre Dame Stadium.
Hometown: Pittsburgh, Pa.
High School: Shady Side Academy
College: B.A. Kent State (Business Administration, 2003); M.A. Kent State (Sports Studies, 2006)
Children: Daughter: Morgan
2003 Kent State Student Assistant
2004 Kent State Graduate Assistant
2005-08 Kent State Defensive Backs
2009 Western Kentucky Defensive Backs
2010-11 Notre Dame Intern
2012-14 Notre Dame Tight Ends/Special Teams Coordinator
2012 Notre Dame BCS National Championship
2013 Notre Dame Pinstripe
1999-2002 Kent State Safety
- Enters his fifth season with Notre Dame and third year as an assistant coach.
- Coaches tight ends and serves as special teams coordinator after learning the Irish offense as an intern from 2010-11.
- Kyle Brindza was 20-for-26 on field goals in 2013 (and 43-of-57 for his career). He is nearly perfect 14-for-15 in game-winning, game-tying, overtime or fourth-quarter lead-extending field goals over his career. His only miss came in the fourth quarter against Temple on Aug. 31, 2013 with the Irish leading 28-6.
- Amongst Brindza's 43 career field goals are a school record four of at least 50 yards, including three in 2013 (53 vs. Arizona State, 51 at Air Force and 51 vs. BYU). He is the only Notre Dame kicker ever to make a field goal of at least 51 yards in a true road game, accomplishing this feat twice (2012 at USC and 2013 at Air Force).
- Brindza's 53-yard field goal vs. Arizona State equaled the longest in school history (Dave Reeve vs. Pittsburgh, Sept. 11, 1976).
- Brindza tied a school and NCAA bowl-game record with five field goals in the 29-16 victory over Rutgers in the 2013 New Era Pinstripe Bowl. His 17 points kicking also equaled the school record for points in a single game.
- Brindza averaged 41.1 yards per punt (43 punts for 1,769 yards) in 2013 - his first year in the role.
- Brindza averaged 62.6 yards per kickoff in '13 (4,692 yards on 75 kickoffs) with 35 touchbacks.
- Brindza bested his own school record (97 in 2012) for points by a place kicker (98) in 2013.
- Troy Niklas was a Mackey Award semifinalist in '13. He had 32 receptions for 498 yards (both third on the team). Niklas averaged 15.6 yards/catch and his five touchdown receptions were the second-most ever by an Irish tight end in single-season school history.
- Tyler Eifert captured the 2012 John Mackey Award. He has also garnered second-team AP, Walter Camp, Sporting News, Sports Illustrated and CBSSports.com All-America honors.
- Eifert finished career ranked first in school history in both career receptions (140) and career receiving yards (1,840) by a tight end.
- Brindza set single-season school records for field goals made (23), field goals attempted (31) and points by a place kicker (97). Brindza also ranked tied for sixth in the Football Subdivision in field goals made in 2012.
- Brindza equaled the single-game school record with five field goals against USC on Nov. 24, 2012, and his 16 points tied for the fifth-most in school history. Brindza belted a 52-yard field goal against the Trojans. The field goal is tied with David Ruffer (Maryland, 2011) for the third-longest in school history.
- Under his tutelage, Notre Dame registered a 38.6 net punting average in 2012 - the program's highest such average since 1997.
- As an intern with Notre Dame, he assisted the offensive coaches in a variety of areas including film breakdowns, scouting reports, playbooks and other duties assigned by head coach Brian Kelly and his staff.
- Part of an offensive coaching staff that helped the Irish register over 500 yards of offense in five games, equal to the combined number of 500-yard offensive games Notre Dame recorded from 2006-10.
- The Irish offense in 2011 scored at least 45 points in three games, the most by a Notre Dame team since 1996.
- Part of a staff that helped Eifert become a finalist for the Mackey Award (top collegiate tight end) and Michael Floyd set every career receiving record at Notre Dame.
- Prior to Notre Dame, coached defensive backs for five seasons at two schools. He worked with the secondary at Western Kentucky in 2009 and was the defensive backs coach at his alma mater, Kent State, from 2005-08.
- Also worked with all four special teams units at both Western Kentucky and Kent State.
- At Kent State, helped develop two NFL draft picks in Jack Williams and Usama Young. Williams earned second-team all-Mid-American Conference honors in 2007 and was a fourth-round selection by the Denver Broncos in the 2008 NFL Draft. Young received second-team all-MAC accolades in 2006 and was selected in the third round of the 2007 NFL Draft by the New Orleans Saints.
- Under Booker's tutelage, Kent State ranked first or second in the MAC in pass defense efficiency, pass defense and interceptions in 2006.
- In 2005, the Golden Flashes allowed only 190.5 passing yards per game to rank 24th in the nation.
- Served as a graduate assistant at Kent State in 2004 and was a student assistant in 2003.
- Four-year regular at safety and on special teams for Kent State from 1999-2002.
- Named to the MAC all-academic team in 2001.
K/P Kyle Brindza (Notre Dame)
- 2013 Notre Dame Special Teams Player of the Year
- 2013 Lou Groza Award Watch List
- 2013 Ray Guy Midseason Watch List
- 2013 ESPN.com All-Bowl Team (Pinstripe Bowl)
- 2013 CBSSports.com All-Bowl Team (Pinstripe Bowl)
- 2013 NFL.com All-Bowl Team (Pinstripe Bowl)
TE Troy Niklas (Notre Dame)
- 2013 Mackey Award Semifinalist
TE Tyler Eifert (Notre Dame), Cincinnati Bengals
- 2013 first-round NFL Draft pick and first tight end selected
- 2012 Mackey Award Winner
- 2012 Pro Football Weekly First Team All-American
- 2012 AP Second Team All-American
- 2012 Walter Camp Second Team All-American
- 2012 Sporting News Second Team All-American
- 2012 Sports Illustrated Second Team All-American
- 2012 CBSSports.com Second Team All-American
S Usama Young (Kent State), Oakland Raiders
- 2006 second-team all-MAC honoree; Third-round selection in 2007 NFL Draft by New Orleans Saints
CB Jack Williams (Kent State)
- 2007 second-team all-MAC selection; fourth-round selection in 2008 NFL Draft by Denver Broncos