• Today's game marks the 145th consecutive sellout in Notre Dame Stadium (the
first 130 coming at the old 59,075 capacity and 12 during the 1997 and '98
seasons at the 80,012 capacity). This game marks Notre Dame's 194th sellout
in the last 195 games dating back to 1964.
• The Irish improve to 8-1-0 lifetime against the Sooners and have won the
last six meetings.
• The Irish have won five straight games against Big 12 Conference opponents.
• Notre Dame's 566 total yards against Oklahoma is the most yards since
amassing 648 yards against Rutgers in 1996. It is the most yards in thr
• Dating back to the LSU game in 1998, seven of the last eight Notre Dame
games have been decided by 10 points or less. Four of those games have been
decided by five points or less.
• Notre Dame did not have a turnover in the game, the first game this season
the Irish accomplished that and the first time since the 28-9 win over
Arizona State in 1998.
• Notre Dame controlled the football for 40 minutes and 41 seconds of the game.
• Notre Dame sophomore TB Tony Fisher scampered 55 yards on the second play
of scrimmage, his longest career run. His previous best was a 46-yard
touchdown run against Kansas earlier this season. It is the longest run
from scrimmage for a Notre Dame running back this season.
• Notre Dame's touchdown on the opening drive was the fastest the Irish have
scored this season (1:43 into the game). The previous fastest score was
4:24 into the opening period.
• Notre Dame has 12 rushing touchdowns and QB Jarious Jackson has five of
them, including the last four of the last six (Tony Driver has the other
two TD's in that stretch).
• Jarious Jackson 107 rushing yards are a career high besting his 100 yards
against Stanford in 1998. Jackson also had a career high in total offense
with 383 yards. His previous high was 356 against LSU in 1998.
• Jarious Jackson completed 71.1 percent of his passes (15 of 21) which is
the third-best percentage of his career and best in 1999. In the second
half, Jackson was 9-for-12 for 244 yards and had nine carries for 100 yards.
• Jackson has passed for 240+ yards in four straight games with 302 at
Michigan, 267 at Purdue, 245 versus Michigan State an 276 today. His
combined total for those four games is 1,088 passing yards.
• Oklahoma's safety with 12:07 left in the second quarter was the first
safety Notre Dame has given up since the LSU game in 1998.
• Oklahoma's 89-yard kickoff return by senior Brandon Daniels was the longest
of the season for the Sooners. Their previous longest return was 16 yards
against Louisville. The last time Notre Dame gave up a kickoff return for a
touchdown was to Kevin Faulk of LSU on November 21, 1998. The last time OU
had a kickoff return for a touchdown was October 21, 1989, when Eric Bross
returned the ball for a touchdown against Iowa State.
• Oklahoma set a team record for return yards in a game with 243 yards in a
game breaking the old record of 207 yards against Santa Clara in 1941.
Brandon Daniels has three kickoff returns for 200 (89, 43 and 68) yards in
the first half and 29 yards in the second half for 229 yards. Daniels
threatened the NCAA record for return yards in a game of 248 yards set by
Tyrone Watley of Iowa against Nebraska in 1997 (on 10 returns).
• The Irish rallied from a 16-point, second-half deficit (30-14),
representing Notre Dame's biggest comeback since the 38-37 win at USC in
1986 (the Irish trailed 37-20 in the fourth quarter of that game).
• Oklahoma junior QB Josh Heupel has thrown 16 touchdown passes this season
surpassing former QB Cale Gundy's record of 14 TD passes in a season set
in 1993. Gundy is now the running backs coach for the Sooners.
• Notre Dame junior WR Joey Getherall's 58-yard touchdown catch from
Jarious Jackson was a season-long completion and touchdown pass. The
previous season high was a 47-yard pass by Tony Fisher against Michigan. It
was Getherall's career- longest passing play and it was the third longest
touchdown pass of Jackson's career.
• Joey Getherall's six receptions for 133 yards are both career highs.
Getherall previous best was five receptions against Georgia Tech in 1997,
his first game with the Irish. His previous best in receiving yards was 79
versus Navy in 1998. Getherall's 133 yards is the most receiving yards by a
Notre Dame player since Malcolm Johnson had 150 against Boston College last
season. Getherall's touchdow catch was just the second TD catch of his
• Tony Fisher had 26 carries for 140 yards on the day, both career highs. His
previous career high was 111 yards versus Kansas earlier this year and 14
carries against Purdue.
• This is the first game between Notre Dame and Oklahoma since September 21,
1968. That game in '68, marked the first Notre Dame football game ever
broadcast by the Mutual Radio Network. The Irish and the Mutual Radio
Network are currently in their 32nd consecutive year of working together in
airing Notre Dame football games on the radio.