Nov. 17, 2012
NOTRE DAME POSTGAME NOTES
- Notre Dame won the coin toss and elected to receive. Wake Forest defended the South end zone.
- Improves Notre Dame to 11-0 for the first time since 1989.
- Improves the Irish to 6-0 at Notre Dame Stadium in 2012.
- Gives Notre Dame its eighth straight home victory.
- Gives the Irish their longest home winning streak since they collected 10 straight during the 1997-99 seasons.
- Guarantees Notre Dame's first undefeated home schedule since 1998 and 26th in Notre Dame Stadium history.
- Gives the Irish 11 straight victories to open a season for the fourth time in school history.
- Marks Notre Dame's 19th win over its last 22 games.
- Gives the Irish their longest winning streak since capturing 17 straight during the 1992-93 seasons.
- Gives Notre Dame its 14th winning streak in school history of at least 11 games.
- Improves the all-time Irish record to 864-300-42 (.734).
- Improves Notre Dame's all-time home record to 467-118-13 (.792).
- Improves the all-time Irish record at Notre Dame Stadium to 320-106-5 (.748).
- Improves Notre Dame's all-time record when ranked in the top 25 to 420-133-15 (.753).
- Improves the all-time Irish record at Notre Dame Stadium when ranked in the top 25 to 212-54-3 (.794).
- Improves Notre Dame's all-time record when ranked in the top five to 181-44-7 (.795).
- Improves the all-time Irish record at Notre Dame Stadium when ranked in the top five to 83-20-2 (.800).
- Improves Notre Dame's all-time record when ranked in the top 25 against an unranked opponent to 303-57-6 (.836).
- Improves the all-time Irish record at Notre Dame Stadium when ranked in the top 25 against an unranked opponent to 158-27 (.854).
- Improves Notre Dame's all-time record when ranked in the top five against an unranked opponent to 123-17-2 (.873).
- Improves the all-time Irish record at Notre Dame Stadium when ranked in the top five against an unranked opponent to 60-7 (.896).
- Improves Notre Dame to 2-0 (1.000) in the all-time series with Wake Forest.
- Improves the Irish to 1-0 (1.000) at home in the all-time series with the Demon Deacons.
- Improves Kelly's record to 198-67-2 (.745) overall.
- Improves Kelly's record at Notre Dame to 27-10 (.730).
- Improves Kelly's record to 79-32 (.712) in FBS games.
- Improves Kelly's record to 70-20 (.778) since 2006.
- Improves Kelly's record to 121-34 (.781) since 2001.
- Improves Kelly's record to 57-14 (.803) all-time in the month of November.
- Improves Kelly's record to 9-1 (.900) in the month of November as Notre Dame head coach.
- Notre Dame is 318-122-27 (.710) all-time during the month of November.
- Notre Dame is 148-44-7 (.761) in November home games.
- The Irish are 100-37-2 (.727) in November games at Notre Dame Stadium.
- Notre Dame is 145-48-8 (.741) all-time in the month of November as a ranked team.
- The Irish are 74-15-1 (.828) all-time in the month of November as a ranked team at Notre Dame Stadium.
- Notre Dame is 9-1 (.900) in the month of November under head coach Brian Kelly. Notre Dame had lost eight of its last nine November games before Kelly's arrival in 2010.
- With a 11-0 record, No. 3/3 Notre Dame is one of only four FBS teams that is still unbeaten this season, three of which are ranked in both the latest Associated Press and USA Today polls. The others are No. 1/1 Oregon (10-0), No. 2/2 Kansas State (10-0) and No. 3/3 Notre Dame (10-0). No. 4/- Ohio State (10-0) is undefeated, but is not eligible for the USA Today poll.
- None of the four remaining unbeaten are slated to face one another in the regular season.
- For only the fourth time in school history, Notre Dame has opened the season with 11 straight victories. The last time that happened was 1989, when the Irish won their first 11 games before dropping a 27-10 decision at No. 7 Miami.
- The three previous 11-0 starts led to a pair of undefeated seasons, two national championships and three bowl berths (3-0 record).
- Among all-time Notre Dame head coaches, Lou Holtz posted a pair of 11-0 starts in his career and Ara Parseghian had one. Brian Kelly is the third Irish head coach to start a season 11-0.
- Notre Dame's 11-game winning streak is the longest for the Irish since 1992-93. The Irish closed the `92 season with seven straight victories before opening `93 with 10 consecutive wins.
- Since opening the 2011 season with an 0-2 record, Notre Dame has won 19 of its last 22 games--good for an .864 winning percentage. The Irish have the sixth-best overall FBS and fifth-best BCS winning percentage since Sept. 17, 2011.
- Notre Dame has won 19 of its last 21 regular season games - good for a .905 winning percentage - since starting 0-2 in 2011. Only one FBS school has a better regular season winning percentage over the same span: Oregon (20-1, .952).
- Brian Kelly has won at least eight games in each of his first three seasons on the Notre Dame sidelines. Lou Holtz, Ara Parseghian, Frank Leahy and Knute Rockne - who combined to win 10 consensus national championships - failed to accomplish the feat.
- Kelly and Dan Devine are the only Irish coaches to win eight or more games in each of their first three seasons at Notre Dame.
- Only one Notre Dame coach - Devine with 28 - has won more games over his first three years on the Irish sidelines than Kelly (27).
Click Here for full notes in pdf format.
WAKE FOREST POSTGAME NOTES
With the Loss
- Wake Forest falls to 5-6 overall
- Wake Forest lost its third game this season to a nationally-ranked opponent
- Jim Grobe's record stands at 72-72 at Wake Forest and 106-106-1 for his career
- Wake Forest fi nishes the season 1-4 in road games
- Wake Forest falls to 21-120-1 all-time against ranked opponents
- Wake Forest has lost fi ve straight games to ranked opponents since beating No. 22 Florida State on Oct. 8, 2011
- Wake Forest falls to 9-73 all-time in road games vs. ranked opponents
- Wake Forest falls to 10-43-3 all-time against opponents with 0 or just 1 loss in November Wake Forest vs. Top 5 Teams
- Wake Forest falls to 1-33 all-time against teams ranked in the Top 5
- Wake Forest has lost 32 straight games to Top 5 ranked teams since defeating No. 4 Tennessee in 1946
- Wake Forest falls to 0-19 against teams ranked in the Top 3 and 0-8 against the No. 3 team
- Redshirt-freshman Allen Ramsey recorded his fi rst career interception in the second quarter.
- That was the Deacons' 10th interception this season.
- Freshman punter Alexander Kinal punted 10 times in the game for an average of 38.8 yards per punt.
- That gives Kinal 90 punts this season.
- That breaks the school record of 87 which was held by Chuck Ramsey from 1973.
- His 90 punts also ties Dan DeArmas of Maryland who punted an ACC-record 90 times in 1991
- The Wake Forest record for punts in a season as a team was 89 also in 1973.
- Captains are ILB Riley Haynes, C Garrick Williams, DE Hasan Hazime and FB Tommy Bohanon
- Today's announced attendance of 80,795 marks the ninth-largest crowd to ever witness at Wake Forest football game.
- Redshirt freshman Tyler Jackson made his season debut and ran six times for 24 yards.
- Wake Forest was shut out for the second time this season.
- The Demon Deacons have not attempted a fi eld goal in each of the last four games
- The Wake Forest defense failed to record a sack in the game for the fi rst time this season.
- Cornerback Kevin Johnson recorded three pass breakups in the game, giving him a team-high 15 on the year.
- Junior wide receiver Michael Campanaro has now caught a pass in 21-straight games.
- Wake Forest lost for the fi rst time this season while holding the edge in time of possession.