Aug. 4, 2017
CULVER, Indiana -- The Notre Dame football team hit Oliver Field at Culver Academies for the fourth practice of 2017 preseason camp on Friday, Aug. 4. Fighting Irish Media had exclusive access as fall camp continued.
The weather was the main topic of conversation. Thunderstorms and rain Thursday night delayed meetings slightly as players and staff needed to wait out weather indoors. The rain brought in cooler temperatures on Friday, with a cool breeze and readings in the high 50s as practice began around 10:30 a.m.
The team and staff have settled into a routine with mid-morning practice, lunch, lift and meet, dinner and walk-thru. Friday marked the final acclimatization period before full pads can be worn for Saturday's practice. In addition, the team is closing in on their first off day of the season (Sunday).
The team was vocally excited about the football weather as they worked through the regular 24 periods with a change from the warm, humid temperatures thus far in camp.
ELKO ONE-ON-ONEAfter Thursday's practice, Fighting Irish Media's Jack Nolan caught up with Irish defensive coordinator Mike Elko. The new DC talked about the new rover position and how he plans to generate pressure on the quarterback.
- Notre Dame spent the first two periods of today's practice in field goal and PAT. Junior
pacekicker Justin Yoon connected on all but one of his field-goal attempts. Yoon did not participate in spring practice resting an injury.
- Freshman Isaiah Robertson and senior captain Drue Tranquill each had interceptions during Notre Dame's 11-on-11 drills.
- Saturday morning's practice at Culver's Oliver Field will be open to the media. Coach Kelly and select players will be available at the end of practice.
- Following Sunday's off day, the team will practice twice more at Culver before returning to the Notre Dame campus Tuesday night with the first practice at the LaBar Practice Complex on Wednesday, Aug. 9.
- Memorial details for Coach Parseghian have been announced. Mass will be celebrated at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart on campus Sunday, Aug. 6, at 2 p.m. A memorial celebration will follow in Purcell Pavilion at 3:30 p.m. The public is invited to both events, which will also both be streamed live on UND.com.
- UND.com has a recap of remembrances of
Arafrom Wednesday, ranging from former players,to coaching brethren and a former Secretary of State. Click here to view the page.
In honor of Ara Parseghian, UND.com will provide a note about the coach for each day of preseason camp. Today's nugget:
- Notre Dame never lost back-to-back games in the regular season during Parseghian's 11 years at Notre Dame. Since the hiring of Knute Rockne in 1918, Parseghian is the lone Irish coach among the 14 who did not see that occur.
ON THIS DAY IN FIGHTING IRISH HISTORY
Frank Carideo, the quarterback on two Notre Dame national championship teams (1929, `30) was
TICKETS ON SALE NOW
For 2017 Notre Dame football single-game ticket availability, visit UND.com/tickets.