Aug 28, 2013
NOTRE DAME, Ind. - Prior to the start of Notre Dame's 2013 season opener against Temple on Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium, members of the University of Notre Dame football family who have passed away during the last year will be recognized as part of the pre-game flag presentation.
The national colors will be presented by:
- Andrew David Schwapp and Alvin D. Schwapp Jr., brothers of former Irish fullback Asaph Schwapp ('09) who died in May. Asaph's uncle, Clarke King, will join them.
- Angi Jurkovic, wife of former All-America Irish lineman Mirko Jurkovic ('95) who died in January. Their children, Mirko, Claire and Samantha, will join Angi on the field.
Since 2010, the flag presentation at the home opener has honored deceased players and other members of the Fighting Irish family who have died. The following is a list of the 18 Notre Dame football family members who have been lost in the past year.
- Dean Brown '92 (G, 1986-89)
- Cliff Brown (QB, 1971-73)
- Ted Burgmeier '78 (CB, 1974-77)
- Jim Colosimo '59 (E, 1957-59)
- Patrick Fisher '35 (LG, 1932)
- Mirko Jurkovic '95 (OT, 1988-91)
- Joseph Lauerman, Jr. '57 (student manager)
- Achille "Chick" Maggioli '47 (LH, 1943-44)
- Robert Michaud '50 (student manager)
- Asaph Schwapp '09 (FB, 2005-08)
- Lancaster "Lank" Smith, Sr. '50 (DB, 1946-48)
- Dean Studer '57 (HB, 1954-56)
- Ed Tuck '69 (OG, 1966-68)
- Mike Walsh '84 (OT, 1981)
- Aaron Alford (brother of running backs coach/recruiting coordinator Tony Alford)
- Geri Jakubowicz (mother of football senior staff assistant Julie DeBuysser)
- Don Klunder (father of associate athletic director for football operations Chad Klunder)
- Susan McGonigal (longtime Notre Dame Media Relations/Sports Information staff member)
- Marilee Faust Oberhue (sister of former Irish head coach Gerry Faust)