Postgame Notes vs. Baylor
Football notes for Oct. 31, 1998
October 31, 1998
(Baylor at Notre Dame, October 31, 1998)
Final Score: Notre Dame 27, Baylor 3
- Today's game marks the 141st consecutive sellout in Notre Dame Stadium (the first 30 coming in the old 59,075 capacity and the six 1997 games at the 80,225 capacity). Today marks Notre Dame's 189th home sellout in the last 190 games, dating back to 1964.
- Notre Dame is 14-0 all-time in games played on Halloween, dating back to a 24-0 win over Albion in 1896.
- Notre Dame is 2-0 all-time against Baylor after today and a 41-0 win at old Cartier Field on September 26, 1925.
- The Irish are 5-0 at Notre Dame Stadium for the first time since the 1993 team was 5-0 at Notre Dame Stadium before losing the season finale to Boston College. The last Irish team to go unbeaten at home was the 1989 team that finished 5-0 at Notre Dame Stadium.
- Notre Dame's defense held Baylor to 33 net rushing yards, the fewest the Irish have allowed since Rutgers had -6 net rushing yards in 1996.
- The last time Notre Dame rushed for more than 329 yards came against Pittsburgh in 1996, when the Irish gained 332 yards. Notre Dame also gained 329 yards against Rutgers in 1996, a week after the Pittsburgh game.
- Notre Dame has won eight straight games at Notre Dame Stadium. The Irish ended the 1997 season with home wins over Boston College, Navy and West Virginia, yielding a current eight-game home winning streak with the four in '98, the longest by a Notre Dame team since the Irish also won eight straight at home from Oct. 24, 1992-Nov. 13, 1993.
- Autry Denson's 189-yard rushing game stands as the 11th-best single-game total in Notre Dame history, matching the 189 by Pinkett against Penn State in 1984. Vagas Ferguson ran for 255 yards on 30 carries in a 38-21 win at Georgia Tech in 1978 to set the record.
- Denson continues his assault of Pinkett's Notre Dame career rushing record. Pinkett amassed 4131 yards from 1982-85, while Denson is 174 yards behind Pinkett with 3,957 yards.
- Denson topped his career-best rushing game with 169 yards rushing on 16 carries in the first half, topping the 162 yards he gained on 24 carries against Michigan in the season opener.
- Denson gained 100 yards rushing for the 20th game of his career, one game short of Allen Pinkett's Notre Dame record of 21 100-yard rushing games set from 1982-85. Notre Dame is 16-5 in games when Autry Denson runs for at least 100 yards.
- Denson averaged 7.88 yards per carry against Baylor, the second best average of his career behind the 9.79 average (14-137) against Washington in 1996. He has averaged at least 5.54 yards in 11 games of his career, with Notre Dame winning all 11 of those games.
- Denson's 100-yard game was his first since gaining 143 against Purdue and is his seventh in his last 12 games.
- Denson's fumble of the option pitch on Notre Dame's opening drive was the third lost fumble of his career in 738 career carries up to that carry.
- Denson's 32-yard run on Notre Dame's first offensive series was his second longest of the year after a 58-yard run in the opening series versus Michigan.
- Denson had six runs of 12 or more yards (32, 24, 12, 16, 17 and 37).
- Bobby Brown's 66-yard touchdown reception from Jarious Jackson on the first series of the second half was the longest passing touchdown for Notre Dame since Paul Failla hit Derrick Mayes for an 80-yard strike against Stanford in 1993. It also marked the longest Irish pass completion since Kevin McDougal threw to Michael Miller for 66 yards against BYU later in the 1993 season.
- Notre Dame continues to own the third quarter as the Irish have shut out six teams in the third quarter in the '98, including the last four, Baylor, Army, Arizona State and Stanford. Notre Dame has outscored its opponents 58-3 this season in the third quarter.
- The 66-yard reception was the longest reception of Bobby Brown's career after a 49-yard reception against Pittsburgh in 1996 and the longest completion of Jarious Jackson's career, bettering the 51 touchdown pass to Jabari Holloway against Purdue earlier this season.
- Notre Dame's first quarter fumble was the eighth turnover of the season for the Irish (three fumbles and five interceptions) and the first first-quarter turnover for the Irish since Jarious Jackson threw an interception against Michigan in the first quarter.
- Baylor forced its 20th fumble of the season and recovered its 10th fumble of the season on Notre Dame's opening drive. The Bears later caused their 21st fumble of the season but the Irish recovered.
- Notre Dame outrushed Baylor 91-5 in the first quarter, with Autry Denson accounting for 74 of Notre Dame yards. In the first half, the Irish gained 228 yards on the ground to Baylor's 33 and finished with a 329-33 advantage in rushing yards.
- Jarious Jackson's 43-yard quarterback draw in the fourth quarter was the longest run of his career.
- After being outscored 79-23 in the first half of the first three games, Notre Dame has outscored the opposition 69-18 in the first half of the last four games.
- The Irish have scored in 12 straight quarters. Notre Dame did not score in the fourth quarter against Stanford.