Aug. 29, 2012
Notre Dame, Ind. -
The University of Notre Dame's Warren Golf Course has been selected as one of the top 10 collegiate golf courses in the nation in ratings done by Links Magazine. This is the first time that the Warren Golf Course has named to this prestigious list.
Links ranked the Warren Golf Course ninth on its list of the top 25 college courses in its most recent issue. Leading the list was the Karsten Creek Course at Oklahoma State University, followed by the Course at Yale, Kansas State's Colbert Hills Golf Course, the Ohio State Scarlet Course, the Orchards Golf Course at Mt. Holyoke College, the Taconic Course at Williams College with the University of Michigan Course seventh and the Stanford University Golf Course eighth.
"This distinction is testament to the hard work and dedication of the entire golf staff," says John Foster, the general manager of the Warren Golf Course.
"The generosity of William K. Warren, Jr. (Class of '56) has given Notre Dame students, faculty, staff, alumni and men and women's golf programs a facility in which they can truly take pride. To have the Warren Course listed with such historic and iconic golf courses as the Taconic Course at Williams College, the Yale Course and the Orchards Course at Mt. Holyoke is a tremendous honor."
This honor adds to the long list of accolades that the Warren Course has received since it opened in 2000. Last March, Golfweek Magazine selected the course as one of the top six courses in Indiana in its ratings of the best courses - state by state, an honor the Warren has been given since 2007.
The Warren Golf Course opened on May 1, 2000 and has played host to three U.S. Amateur Championship qualifiers, the 2005 and 2010 men's NCAA Central Regional, the 2011 women's NCAA Central Regional, three Western Amateur Championship qualifiers, the 2010 United States Women's Amateur Public Links Championship, five BIG EAST Conference men's championships and three BIG EAST women's championships. In addition, the par 70, 7,020-yard, tree-lined layout has welcomed numerous junior golf tournaments and serves as the home golf course for the Notre Dame men and women's golf teams.
Of the 25 courses rated by Links, the Warren Course is one of six collegiate courses in the Midwest. Joining the Warren Course (ninth) is the Ohio State Scarlet Course (fourth), the University of Michigan Golf Course (seventh), the Birck Boilermaker Golf Complex (11th) at Purdue, the University Ridge Golf Course (14th) at Wisconsin and the 22nd-ranked Meadows at Grand Valley State.
Links Magazine's Top 25 College Golf Courses
1. Karsten Creek (Oklahoma State)
2. The Course at Yale
3. Colbert Hills Golf Club (Kansas State)
4. Ohio State Scarlet Course
5. The Orchards Golf Club (Mount Holyoke College)
6. The Taconic Golf Club (Williams College)
7. University of Michigan Golf Course
8. Stanford University Golf Club
9. Warren Golf Course (Notre Dame)
10. Finley Golf Course (North Carolina)
11. Birck Boilermaker Golf Complex (Purdue)
12. Duke Golf Club
13. Jimmy Austin OU Golf Club (Oklahoma)
14. University Ridge Golf Course (Wisconsin)
15. Rawls Course (Texas Tech)
16. Palouse Ridge Golf Club (Washington State)
17. Championship Golf Course (New Mexico)
18. Eisenhower Golf Club (Air Force Academy)
19. Mark Bostick Golf Course (Florida)
20. Seven Oaks Golf Club (Colgate University)
21. Birdwood Golf Course (Virginia)
22. Meadows at Grand Valley State University
23. Walker Golf Course (Clemson)
24. UGA Golf Course (Georgia)
25. Robert Trent Jones Golf Course (Cornell)
-- ND --