Notre Dame recognizes highly-successful 2015-16 athletics year at 15th annual student-athlete awards gala.
Andy Ryan picked up a pair of awards, including Defensive Player of the Year honors.
Cal Petersen made 39 saves and Dylan Malmquist scored the game winner.
By John Heisler
Seven different players scored for Notre Dame in the victory.
Notre Dame vs Boston University, Friday night 2/26
Notre Dame Men's Ice Hockey falls to St. Cloud State on 03-30-2013.
Notre Dame Men's Ice Hockey take down Ohio State 3-1 in the CCHA Semifinals at Joe Lewis Arena on 03-23-2013.
Notre Dame Men's Ice Hockey wins advance to the CCHA Semifinals at Joe Lewis Arena after defeating Bowing Green 4-3.
Notre Dame Men's Ice Hockey v Miami at Hockey City Classic on 02-17-2013.
AS A SENIOR
• Earned the team’s Compton Family Leadership in Service and William Donald Nyrop Defensive Player of the Year Awards after the season.
• Served as an alternate captain.
• A member of Notre Dame’s Rosenthal Leadership Academy.
• Along with Chad Katunar, one of the team’s two representatives on the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
• Played in all 37 games, scoring two goals and adding eight assists for 10 points.
• Finished the season with a +8 plus/minus rating.
• Opened the season with a career-high two goals in Notre Dame’s season-opening win at Penn State (Oct. 16).
• Tied a career-high with two assists in Notre Dame’s 3-1 win over Western Michigan (Nov. 28).
• Had an assist in Notre Dame’s 3-2 win at New Hampshire (Jan. 23).
AS A JUNIOR
• Named to the Hockey East All-Academic Team for a second consecutive season.
• Played in all 42 games, scored a goal and added a career-high nine assists for a career-best 10 points.
• Led the team with 72 blocks and blocked 45 shots in 22 Hockey East games to rank second in the league.
• Finished the season with a +6 plus/minus ranking.
• Matched his career high with two-assists versus Niagara (Oct. 24) and UMass (March 8).
• Scored in Notre Dame's 3-2 overtime win at Merrimack (Nov. 11).
AS A SOPHOMORE
• Played in 38 games, scored a pair of goals and added five assists for seven points.
• Both goals came via the power play.
• Whistled for seven penalties resulting in 14 penalty minutes and was +7 for the year.
• Picked up his first point of the season with an assist in 4-0 win over Western Michigan (Oct. 11).
• Scored his first goal of the year on the power play in 5-2 win over Alabama Huntsville (Nov. 29).
• Recorded two assists in six postseason games.
AS A FRESHMAN
• Saw action in six games as a freshman, picking up two assists for two points.
• Was +2 for the year and had no penalty minutes.
• Both of his assists came in Notre Dame's 3-2 win at Northern Michigan (Oct. 27).
IN THE USHL
• Prior to joining the Irish, played the 2011-12 season in the United States Hockey League (USHL) with both the Green Bay Gamblers and the Sioux City Musketeers.
• Selected in the third round of the 2010 USHL Entry Draft by Green Bay .
• Played in 11 games with the Gamblers in 2011-12, picking up three assists and 14 penalty minutes before being part of a five-player trade on Nov. 7, 2011.
• Then played in 43 games for Sioux City, scoring four goals with 11 assists for 15 points while picking up 24 penalty minutes.
• Had two power-play goals and a game winner and finished +13 for the year.
• Helped Sioux City to a 29-30-1 record and a berth in the USHL playoffs.
WITH USA HOCKEY
• Spent two seasons (2009-11) with USA Hockey's National Team Developmental Program in Ann Arbor, Mich., where he was a teammates of futiure Notre Dame teammates Robbie Russo and Austin Wuthrich.
• With the Under-18 team in 2010-11 played in 29 games with five assists and four penalty minutes.
• As a member of the Under-17 team in 2009-10, scored twice with two assists for four points and 20 penalty minutes.
• Was a member of gold medal-winning team at Under-17 World Championships.
PREP & PERSONAL
• graduated from Pioneer High School in Ann Arbor, Mich., while playing for the U.S. National Team Developmental program.
• Played two seasons with the Victory Honda junior program.
• In his final season with Victory Honda, had three goals and 18 assists for 21 points in 70 games.
• Full name is Andrew Patrick Ryan and he was born in Detroit, Michigan.
• Son of John and Vicki Ryan and has an older brother, Ben, and an older sister, Kate.
• His brother played hockey at Notre Dame from 2008-11 and was alternate captain on 2011 NCAA Frozen Four team.
• The Ryans are one of 11 sets of brothers to play for the Irish.
• A double major at Notre Dame and will earn degrees in finance from Mendoza College of Business and in film, television and theatre from the College of Arts and Letters.
Goals: 2 (at Penn State on 10/16/15)
Assists: 2 (3x - vs. UMass on 3/8/15)
Points: 2 (5x - vs. Western Michigan on 11/28/15)
Multi-Point Games: 5
Point Streak: 3 games (Nov. 28 - Dec. 5, 2015; 0-4-4)