Feb. 10, 2017
By Dan Colleran
PORTLAND, Maine -- The No. 16 University of Notre Dame hockey team took a 1-0 lead 65 seconds into the game on a Jack Jenkins goal and went on to post a 3-2 win over Maine on Friday night at the Cross Insurance Arena.
Cal Petersen posted 29 saves in the Notre Dame net, while Rob McGovern and Matt Morris combined for 25 saves for Maine (10-16-3, 4-12-1).
How It Happened
Just 65 seconds into the first period, Jack Jenkins gave the Irish a 1-0 lead when he scored his fourth of the season from just outside the goal crease. Cal Burke took a pass from Dennis Gilbert at the defensive blue line, skated by the Maine defense along the near boards and centered the puck for Jenkins.
Bjork made it a 2-0 Notre Dame lead at 6:22 of the first when he caught up to a loose puck, weaved through the Maine defense and fired high past McGovern's glove for his 17th goal of the season.
Midway through the first period, Petersen denied Chase Pearson on the doorstep for one of his best saves of the night.
Oglevie pushed the lead to 3-0 just 1:37 into the second period when he put a shot on goal that eluded McGovern with Jenkins providing a screen in front. Gilbert assisted on Oglevie's 17th of the season for a two-point night.
At 12:42 of the third Brendan Robbins got Maine on the board with his fourth goal of the season.
The Irish generated some quality scoring chances as the third period wore on, but Morris, who came on for the start of the third period, stopped all seven shots he faced in the final frame.
With Morris pulled and the extra attacker on, Maine made it a 3-2 game with four seconds left in the third. The goal was also a power-play tally.
Notre Dame was 0-for-4 on the power play, while Maine was 1-for-4.
Notre Dame - Maine Notes
- Junior goaltender Cal Petersen made his 79th-consecutive start in the Notre Dame net, which is the seventh-longest streak in the NCAA Div. I records book.
- Petersen's streak of 79 consecutive starts in the Irish net dates back to a 5-1 at Maine on Feb. 7, 2015.
- Petersen has also appeared 80 consecutive games, which is the sixth-longest mark in the NCAA Div. I records book.
- Notre Dame carries a six-game unbeaten streak (5-0-1) against the Black Bears into the weekend series.
- Anders Bjork (5 GP, 4-3-7) now has seven points against the Black Bears, while Cal Petersen is 4-0-0 against Maine.
- Jordan Gross skated in his 108th consecutive game, dating back to the first game of his freshman season.
- With a goal, Andrew Oglevie extended his point streak to a career-long nine games (8-4-12).
- With an assist, Cal Burke (1-2-3) extended his point streak to a career-long three games.
- Dennis Gilbert has eight assists in the last eight games.
-- ND --
Dan Colleran, associate athletics communications director at the University of Notre Dame, has been a part of Fighting Irish Media since August 2015 and coordinates all media and publicity efforts surrounding the Notre Dame hockey and golf programs. A native of Walpole, Massachusetts, Colleran spent the previous three years working with the men's hockey and soccer programs at Providence College. Colleran also spent two years as an Assistant Executive Director of Communications & Championships at the Ivy League and is a graduate of Providence College ('06 & '08G).