Men's Ice Hockey


Nov. 22, 1997

Irish Hockey Drops Tight Game to Ferris State 4-3

BIG RAPIDS, Mich. -- Despite an impressive second period hat trick by Notre Dame freshman left wing Chad Chipchase, Irish hockey dropped the second game of its two-game series against Ferris State 4-3 Saturday night. The two teams played to a 5-5 tie in the first match up Thursday at the Joyce Center and Notre Dame headed north to Ferris State's Ewigleben Ice Arena to try to pick off a win in game two.

Chad Chipchase
Chad Chipchase notches second period hat trick. (File Photo)

Chipchase's hat trick is the first by a Notre Dame player in 81 games, a streak that stretches back to a four-goal performance by Brian Urick against Alaska Fairbanks in October of 1995. Chipchase's hat trick came after he posted only one goal on seven shots in his first 11 games of the season.

Notre Dame (6-5-1 overall, 3-4-1 CCHA) held the lead twice in the game but Ferris State (4-7-3 overall, 4-4-3 CCHA) was boosted to the come from behind win by a pair of third period goals from Brent Wishart.

The scoring started quickly with FSU's Jim Dube knocking one in and putting the Bulldogs up on the board first only 2:54 into the game. The goal came when Ferris State's Brett Colborne converted on an odd-man rush to set up the shot for Dube.

Chipchase was on fire for the Irish, notching a pair of goals nine seconds apart in the second and putting Notre Dame up 2-1. On the first goal, Senior center Steve Noble sent a crisp pass to Wishart who scored on FSU goalie Vince Owen with a hard shot from the left circle.

The Irish then won the following face off and sophomore defenseman Tyson Fraser worked the puck to Noble, who led a rush down ice and fired off a shot. Owen made the block but Chipchase was waiting just to the right of the crease and knocked in the rebound at 4:32 of the second.

The Bulldogs struck back immediately though with a goal from Kevin Swider (12:15) on a 3-on-1 breakaway. Chipchase returned the favor with his third goal of the game 25 seconds later (12:15) prompting the replacement of the rookie netminder Owen with sophomore Mike Szkodinski.

The Irish led the game heading into the third period but FSU's Wishart tied the game up with a fancy goal on a 3-on-2 odd man rush set up by Joel Irwin and Mike Kozak (6:42). Wishart then notched the game winner less than two minutes later (8:04) when two other players, Matt Golden and Kevin Swider, capitalized on the open ice created by 4-on-4 play to set him up. Irish senior goaltender Matt Eisler came out of net to challenge Wishart but was unable to block the shot.

Notre Dame hockey next faces off against Lake Superior State in a two-game CCHA series Nov. 28 and 29th at Joyce Arena.

Shop Now


Gear Store

Get your Official ND Gear // Shop Now »

St. Joseph Health System Nissan Delta Canon Visit South Bend Mishawaka Vivid Seats