Feb. 9, 2017
By Dan Colleran
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The No. 16 University of Notre Dame hockey team will head to Maine for a pair of Hockey East games against the University of Maine Black Bears (Feb. 10-11).
Game one of the series is set for the Cross Insurance Arena in Portland, Maine, while game two will be played at the Alfond Arena on Maine’s campus in Orono, Maine.
Matchup: Notre Dame vs. Maine
Date: Friday, Feb. 10 | Saturday, Feb. 11
Time: 7:05 p.m. (EST) | 7:05 p.m. (EST)
Site: Portland, Maine | Orono, Maine
Arena: Cross Insurance Arena | Alfond Arena
Live Streaming: None | Goblackbears.com
Live Radio | Audio: WZOC 94.3 FM | WatchND
Play-by-Play: Darin Pritchett
Live Stats: HockeyEastonline.com
Live Updates: @NDHockey
Series History: ND leads 8-2-1 (11 games)
Notes To Know
- The Irish (8-5-3, 19 points) enter the weekend tied with UMass Lowell for fourth in the Hockey East standings, while Maine is in 11th (4-11-1, nine points).
- Currently, eight teams are separated by just seven points between third and 10th-place in the standings (the top four teams earn a first round bye).
- Notre Dame carries a five-game unbeaten streak (4-0-1) against the Black Bears into the weekend series. Anders Bjork (4 GP, 3-3-6) and Jake Evans (4 GP, 2-3-5) lead the Irish in scoring against Maine, while Cal Petersen is 3-0-0 with a 0.88 goals against average and a .972 save percentage versus the Black Bears.
- Petersen’s streak of 78 consecutive starts in the Irish net dates back to a 5-1 at Maine on Feb. 7, 2015.
Irish Streaks And Trends
- Andrew Oglevie has a career long, eight-game point streak (7-4-11).
- Jake Evans is on a six-game point streak (3-6-9) and he has now notched at least one point in 13 of Notre Dame’s last 14 games (6-11-17).
- Jordan Gross (1-4-5) has a four-game point streak.
- Cal Burke (1-1-2) and Mike O’Leary (1-1-2) have two-game point streaks for the first times in their careers.
- The Irish are 6-3-2 since returning from break (Dec. 31).
- The Hobey Baker Fan Ballot was revealed by the Hobey Baker Memorial Award Foundation on Jan. 30 and high-scoring junior forward Anders Bjork and stalwart junior goaltender Cal Petersen were included on the fan ballot.
- All 60 Division I college coaches vote for three players from their own conference and three players from the rest of the college hockey.
- Then, the Vote for Hobey aggregate fan vote’s one percent is factored in and 10 finalists will be announced in the middle of March.
- The Hobey Baker Selection Committee, along with a second aggregate of the fan’s one percent vote, will be combined to come up with the “Hobey Hat Trick” which will be announced on March 30.
- The winner will then be announced at the 2017 NCAA Division I Men’s Frozen Four, which is being hosted by the University of Notre Dame and the Chicago Sports Commission at the United Center in Chicago.
-- ND --
Dan Colleran, associate athletics communications director at the University of Notre Dame, has been a part of Fighting Irish Media since August 2015 and coordinates all media and publicity efforts surrounding the Notre Dame hockey and golf programs. A native of Walpole, Massachusetts, Colleran spent the previous three years working with the men’s hockey and soccer programs at Providence College. Colleran also spent two years as an Assistant Executive Director of Communications & Championships at the Ivy League and is a graduate of Providence College (’06 & ’08G).