Oct. 18, 2017
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The University of Notre Dame hockey team will continue its eight-game homestand this weekend when it welcomes Sacred Heart for a two-game series at the Compton Family Ice Arena.
It will be the second time in two weeks that the No. 5/6 Irish (2-1-1, 0-0-0 B1G) will meet a group of Pioneers, having tied and lost in a two-game set with No. 1 Denver last weekend. The Sacred Heart collection of Pioneers (1-2-0, 0-0-0 Atlantic Hockey) have opened the season with a pair of losses to Northeastern (Oct. 6-7) and a win over UConn (Oct. 14).
Games 5 & 6
Matchup: Sacred Heart at Notre Dame
Date: Thursday, Oct. 19 | Friday, Oct. 20
Time: 7:35 p.m. ET (both games)
Site: Notre Dame, Ind.
Arena: Compton Family Ice Arena
Television: NBC Sports Chicago Plus
Play-By-Play: Mike Monaco
Analyst: Nik Valdiserri (Thursday) | David Korzenowski (Friday)
Live Streaming: NBCSports.com & the NBC Sports App
Live Radio | Audio: WZOC 94.3 FM & WatchND
Play-by-Play: Darin Pritchett
Live Stats: GameTracker (Thursday) | GameTracker (Friday)
Live Updates: @NDHockey
Series History: ND leads 2-0-0
Tickets: Buy Now
Notes To Know
- The Irish head into their third of four straight home non-conference series to start the season.
- This week’s Thursday-Friday series will mark the third and fourth all-time meetings between Notre Dame and Sacred Heart.
- Last weekend, the Irish went 0-1-1 in a pair of tightly contested games with top-ranked Denver (Oct. 13-14), while the Sacred Heart Pioneers are coming off a 3-1 win over UConn (Oct. 14) .
- In the Notre Dame net, sophomore Cale Morris (1-1-0, 3.01 GAA, .902 Sv.%) and freshman Dylan St. Cyr (1-0-1, 0.96 GAA, .976 Sv.%) have played one game apiece in each series so far and are expected to do so again against the Pioneers.
- Jake Evans (3-5-8), Jordan Gross (2-4-6), Andrew Oglevie (3-3-6) and Bobby Nardella (1-3-4) have each started the season on four-game point streaks.
- The Irish enter third week of play with the nation’s top-ranked power play unit, converting at a 38.5 percent rate (5-for-13). Andrew Oglevie (2), Jake Evans (1), Jordan Gross (1) and Bobby Nardella (1) have accounted for Notre Dame’s five power-play goals.
- Evans’ eight points rank tied for second in the country (trailing only Colt Conrad of Western Michigan, who has nine points), while Gross’ six points are tied for third in the country among defensemen.
- With a pair of third period assists against Denver on Saturday night (Oct. 14), senior Evans (122 GP, 31-69-100) hit the 100-career points plateau. He became the 52nd player in program history to reach 100-career points and the first since Anders Bjork did so during the 2016-17 season.
- Senior defenseman Jordan Gross (123 GP, 28-69-97) is also approaching the 100-career points milestone. The last Notre Dame defenseman to reach the century mark was Bob Thebeau in 1985-86.
- Sacred Heart enters the series with a 1-2-0 record, including losses at Northeastern by scores of 7-3 and 7-0 on Oct. 6-7 as well as a home win against UConn, 3-1, on Oct, 14.
- In the win over UConn, Brett Magnus made 44 saves and Austin McIlmurray, Matt Tugnutt (GWG) and Alex Bates each scored for the Pioneers.
Series Quick Hits
- Notre Dame and Sacred Heart are meeting for the third and fourth times in program history and for the first times at the Compton Family Ice Arena.
- The teams played a two-game series at the Joyce Center on Oct 17-18, 2008, with Notre Dame posting wins of 3-0 and 7-0.
- In net, Jordan Pearce made 18 saves to earn the shutout in game one and then Tommy O’Brien made 17 stops to post the game two shutout in his first career start.
- Ian Cole and Erik Condra (2) were among the Notre Dame goal-scorers in that series.