Feb. 16, 2017
By Robby Hamman
NOTRE DAME, Ind. -- The No. 4 Notre Dame men's lacrosse team travels to Frisco, Texas, this weekend to open the 2017 season at the Ford Center at The Star against Georgetown at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 18. The game will air live on ESPNU and is part of the Patriot Cup.
Location: Frisco, Texas | The Ford Center at The Star
Schedule: Saturday, February 18 -- 2 p.m. ET vs. Georgetown
TV: ESPNU | Quint Kessenich (play-by-play), Paul Carcaterra (analyst) and Sheehan Stanwick-Burch (sidelines)
Live Stats: UND.com
Twitter Updates: @NDlacrosse
Owning The Openers
- Notre Dame is 29-7 all-time in season openers, including a 23-5 record under Baumer Family Head Men’s Lacrosse Coach Kevin Corrigan.
- The Irish have won a program-record 14 straight season openers. Notre Dame opened last season with a 12-7 win over Georgetown in Kennesaw, Georgia, at the Cobb County Classic.
- The Irish last dropped a season opener in 2002, a 10-9 overtime setback at home against Penn State.
A National Brand
- Notre Dame opens the season in Texas, continuing the tradition of playing all around the country. Last season the Irish played two regular season games in different regions of the country, as they opened the season in Kennesaw, Georgia against Georgetown and then played Maryland in Orange County, California.
- The Irish unofficially opened the 2017 season in Florida, playing Team USA in Bradenton after training for three days at IMG Academy.
- Since the 2013 season, the Irish have played regular season and postseason games in five professional stadiums, including Lucas Oil (Indianapolis), Sports Authority Field at Mile High (Denver), M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore), Talen Energy Stadium (Philadelphia), and Lincoln Financial Field (Philadelphia).
Series History vs. Georgetown
- Saturday will be the 16th meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Georgetown. The Irish hold an 8-7 edge in the series and have won the last five showdowns.
- The two programs met in 2016 and the Irish came away with a 12-7 victory at Arlotta Stadium.
- Notre Dame and Georgetown were together in the BIG EAST Conference from 2010-13. The Irish were 3-1 against the Hoyas during their time in the league. Those four meetings were decided by a combined eight goals.
Irish Offense Returns
- Notre Dame returns 73.3 percent of its goal production (121 of 165) from last season’s team.
- The Irish return 15 goal scorers from last season.
- 93 of Notre Dame’s 165 goals came from three players. The trio of Mikey Wynne (40), Ryder Garnsey (27) and Sergio Perkovic (26) return to the 2017 squad.
- Shane Doss enters 2017 as a Preseason First Team All-American at the goalkeeper position for the Irish. The senior led the ACC and ranked fifth in the country in 2016 in goals against average, allowing just 7.67 per game. Doss also topped the league in save percentage with a mark of .563.
-- ND --
The University of Notre Dame men's lacrosse team pursues excellence on and off the field through the three pillars in which the program is built: Character, Culture & Community. These three foundational values guide the promise of the program, which is to provide its student-athletes with the most compelling and enriching experience in all of college athletics. Through academics, competition, service and travel, the program aims to immerse its players in situations that enhance their student-athlete experience to help them become the people, students and teammates they aspire to be.
Follow the Notre Dame men's lacrosse team on social media and the Internet ...
Robby Hamman joined Fighting Irish Media as athletics communications assistant director in September 2016, coordinating efforts for the volleyball and men's lacrosse program. Hamman is a 2010 graduate of Bethel College, where he earned bachelor's degrees in sport management and business administration, and earned his master's degree in business administration from Defiance College in 2013.