Feb. 9, 2013
#29 ND 6, #48 MSU 1
EAST LANSING, Mich. - The No. 29 University of Notre Dame men's tennis team capitalized on a close doubles win to roll through singles as the Irish earned a key ranked road win with a 6-1 victory over No. 48 Michigan State Saturday afternoon at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility.
The Irish (5-3) have won three of their last four matches, with two top-50 wins, after opening the spring campaign 2-2 with two top-40 losses. Notre Dame travels to No. 7 Kentucky for a 2 p.m. Tuesday before welcoming in rival Michigan (No. 21) at 1 p.m. next Saturday at the Eck Tennis Pavilion.
Notre Dame claimed the hotly contested doubles point with wins at one and three. The No. 51 duo of Greg Andrews and Spencer Talmadge breezed past Gijs Linders and Harry Jadun, 8-3 at one. After the Spartans claimed victory at two doubles, the action turned to three. Going back and forth, Matt Dooley and Ryan Bandy eventually secured the doubles point for the Irish with an 8-6 win over Doug Zade and Drew Lied.
In singles the Irish rolled, winning five of the six contests in straight sets. No. 120 Wyatt McCoy got the ball rolling with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Will Davis at five before Bandy gave the Irish a 3-0 lead with a 6-4, 6-2 win at six over Jadun.
No. T-110 Blas Moros clinched the match with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Linders at two.
With the win secured, No. 80 Andrews won, 6-2, 6-3, over Lied at one and Quentin Monaghan defeated John Patrick Mullane at three, 6-2, 7-6 (11-9).
1. #80 Greg Andrews (ND) def. Drew Lied (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. #T-110 Blas Moros (ND) def. Gijs Linders (MSU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Quentin Monaghan (ND) def. John Patrick Mullane (MSU) 6-2, 7-6 (11-9)
4. Denis Bogatov (MSU) def. #88 Billy Pecor (ND) 6-4, 6-2
5. #120 Wyatt McCoy (ND) def. Will Davis (MSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Ryan Bandy (ND) def. Harry Jadun (MSU) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: Singles (5, 6, 4, 2, 1, 3)
1. #51 Greg Andrews / Spencer Talmadge (ND) def. Gijs Linders/Harry Jadun (MSU) 8-3
2. Denis Bogatov/John Patrick Mullane (MSU) def. Billy Pecor / Alex Lawson (ND) 8-4
3. Matt Dooley / Ryan Bandy (ND) def. Doug Zade/Drew Lied (MSU) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3)