Feb. 25, 2018
NOTRE DAME, Ind. -- After a pair of hard-fought losses to top-15 teams, the No. 17 Notre Dame men's tennis team capped its weekend with a 7-0 victory over Toledo on Sunday evening at the Eck Tennis Pavilion.
Playing singles first, the Irish (8-5) rebounded nicely after a dropping tough matches to No. 12 Michigan (4-3) and No. 3 Ohio State (5-2) on Friday night and Sunday afternoon, respectively. Toledo dropped to 2-8 on the spring.
How It Happened
The Irish picked-up straight-set victories in five of the six singles matches, which were played first. Guillermo Cabrera scored the first Irish win on court one (6-2, 6-1), before Tristan McCormick followed on court four (6-3, 6-3). Paul Gota made it 3-0 Irish with a 6-1, 6-3 win at six singles before Grayson Broadus got the clincher on court three via a 6-2, 6-3 victory.
Drew Dawson and Conor Somers secured the first doubles match for the Irish on court three, winning 6-1. The point was clinched when Paul Gota and Nathan Griffin scored a 6-2 win at two doubles. Brendon Kempin and Grayson Broadus played out one doubles, winning 6-4.
No. 17 Notre Dame 7, Toledo 0
Sunday, Feb. 25
Notre Dame, IN
Eck Tennis Pavilion
1. Guillermo Cabrera (ND) def. Vince Anzalone (UT), 6-2, 6-1
2. Matt Gamble (ND) def. Lucka Vitosevic (UT), 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
3. Grayson Broadus (ND) def. Thawin Suksathaporn (UT), 6-2, 6-3
4. Tristan McCormick (ND) def. Reid Teatsorth (UT), 6-3, 6-3
5. Nathan Griffin (ND) def. Nikola Arsic (UT), 6-4, 6-3
6. Paul Gota (ND) def. Serjen Olmedo (UT), 6-1, 6-3
1. Brendon Kempin/Grayson Broadus (ND) def. Lucka Vitosevic/Danilo Vukotic (UT) 6-4
2. Paul Gota/Nathan Griffin (ND) def. Thawin Suksathaporn/Reid Teatsorth (UT) 6-4
3. Drew Dawson/Conor Somers (ND) def. Vince Anzalone/Serjen Olmedo (UT) 6-1
Order of Finish
Singles: 1,4,6,3,5,2; Doubles: 3,2,1