March 25, 2016
By Joanne Norell
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — University of Notre Dame men’s tennis senior Quentin Monaghan continued his recent streak of wins over top-ranked singles opponents Friday, but the Irish fell to No. 2 Virginia 6-1 in an Atlantic Coast Conference match at the Snyder Tennis Center.
The 33rd-ranked Monaghan upended No. 8 Ryan Shane 6-7, 7-5, 1-0 in the final decision of the day, recreating a similar outcome from when the teams met a year ago. The win gave Monaghan his third straight against an opponent ranked within the Oracle/ITA top 30, and his first against a top 10 opponent this season.
Elsewhere, the Irish (10-9, 4-3 ACC) struggled. The Cavaliers (15-2, 5-0 ACC) won the doubles point as No. 2 Luca Corintelli and Shane defeated No. 14 Monaghan and senior Alex Lawson 6-2 on Court 1, while Collin Altimirano and J.C. Aragon bested junior Eddy Covalschi and senior Kenneth Sabacinski 6-4.
Virginia’s loaded singles lineup then quickly provided the clinching decisions, winning in straight sets in the bottom five slots in the lineup. No. 63 Altimirano defeated Covalschi 6-4, 6-2 at No. 2, while No. 7 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski beat junior Josh Hagar 6-3, 6-4 on Court 3. Lawson dropped a tight match to No. 88 Aragone 7-6, 6-4 on Court 4; freshman Grayson Broadus fell to Henrik Wiersholm 6-4, 6-3 on Court 5; and Sabacinski lost to Mac Styslinger 6-4, 6-4 on Court 6.
The Irish will return to action at 2 p.m. ET Sunday when they take on Georgia Tech at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex in Atlanta, Georgia.
No. 2 Virginia 6, Notre Dame 1
1. No. 33 Quentin Monaghan (ND) def. No. 8 Ryan Shane (UVA) 6-7(10), 7-5, 10-6
2. No. 63 Collin Altimirano (UVA) def. Eddy Covalschi (ND) 6-4, 6-2
3. No. 7 Thai-Son Kwiatkowksi (UVA) def. Josh Hagar (ND) 6-3, 6-4
4. No. 88 J.C. Aragone (UVA) def. Alex Lawson (ND) 7-6, 6-4
5. Henrik Wiersholm (UVA) def. Grayson Broadus 6-4, 6-3
6. Mac Styslinger (UVA) def. Kenneth Sabacinski (ND) 6-4, 6-4
1. No. 2 Luca Corintelli / Ryan Shane (UVA) def. No. 14 Alex Lawson / Quentin Monaghan (ND) 6-2
2. Grayson Broadus / Joshn Hagar (ND) vs. No. 8 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski / Mac Styslinger (UVA) 5-5, unfinished
3. Collin Altimirano / J.C. Aragone (UVA) def. Eddy Covalschi / Kenneth Sabacinski (ND) 6-4
Joanne Norell, athletics communications assistant at the University of Notre Dame, has been part of the Fighting Irish athletics communications team since 2014 and coordinates communications efforts for the Notre Dame women's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and fencing programs. Norell is a 2011 graduate of Purdue University and earned her master's degree from Georgetown University in 2013.