April 1, 2013
#27 Notre Dame 5, Ball State 2
MUNCIE, Ind. - The No. 27 University of Notre Dame men's tennis team rallied from an early 1-0 hole to top the Ball State Cardinals, 5-2, Monday afternoon at the YMCA Tennis Center in Muncie, Ind.
With the win the Irish improve to 12-7 and return home for a trio of matches this weekend. Friday Notre Dame plays host to SMU in a 4 p.m. match. Saturday BIG EAST rival South Florida and Butler come to campus for a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m. Prior to the match against the Bulls, the Irish will celebrate seniors Michael Moore, Blas Moros and Spencer Talmadge and ITA Hall of Fame head coach Bobby Bayliss, who is retiring at the end of the 2013 spring season.
The Irish dropped the doubles point to fall into a 1-0 hole. Ball State won at one and three doubles to take the early lead. Notre Dame won at two as Billy Pecor and Alex Lawson breezed past Imanol Arconada and Alexandre Brym, 8-3. However, the Cardinals knotted up the match at three as Patrick Elliott and Austin Sansone took down Matt Dooley and Ryan Bandy, 8-6, and then clinched the point at one as Dalton Albertin and Cliff Morrison topped Greg Andrews and Spencer Talmadge by the same score.
In singles the Irish quickly tied the score up as No. 109 Andrews took down Morrison in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. Notre Dame took its first lead as Moros topped Arconada, 6-1, 6-4, at three. The lead improved 3-1 after Pecor defeated Brym at four in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3. Freshman Quentin Monaghan clinched the victory at two with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Albertin.
With the match decided Wyatt McCoy took down Austin Smith, 6-4, 6-3, at six and Elliot defeated Michael Moore at five 7-6 (5), 7-5, to give the match its final score.
1. No. 109 Greg Andrews (ND) def. Cliff Morrison (BSU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Quentin Monaghan (ND) def. Dalton Albertin (BSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Blas Moros (ND) def. Imanol Arconada (BSU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Billy Pecor (ND) def. Alexandre Brym (BSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Patrick Elliott (BSU) def. Michael Moore (ND) 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
6. Wyatt McCoy (ND) def. Austin Smith (BSU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4, 2, 6, 5
1. Dalton Albertin/Cliff Morrison (BSU) def. Greg Andrews/Spencer Talmadge (ND) 8-6
2. Billy Pecor/Alex Lawson (ND) def. Imanol Arconada/Alexandre Brym (BSU) 8-3
3. Patrick Elliott/Austin Sansone (BSU) def. Matt Dooley/Ryan Bandy (ND) 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1