April 11, 2014
NOTRE DAME, Ind. --- Before a crowd of 600, the University of Notre Dame men’s tennis team took on Miami this afternoon in a very sunny match at the Courtney Tennis Center. The Irish swept the Hurricanes, 7-0.
“We played well,” said head coach Ryan Sachire. “Our seniors led the way at the top of the lineup in singles, and Matt Dooley did a fantastic job for us in doubles. And that’s kind of what you rely on down the stretch: your veteran guys who have been there before. They competed the right way and led us on the court and the younger guys followed suit. It was a great team win, and we’re looking forward to Sunday.”
New teams brought an end to a recent rough patch that the Irish were having in doubles. At No. 2, senior Greg Andrews and new partner freshman Josh Hagar defeated Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto, 8-4. Senior Billy Pecor and sophomore Alex Lawson battled hard but ultimately lost to Omar Aly and Wilfredo Gonzalez, 8-4. The doubles point was decided at No. 3, where senior Matt Dooley and sophomore Quentin Monaghan pulled out an 8-5 victory over Daniel Shebshayevich and Bernard Tefel.
On their way to clinching the match, the Irish did not drop even a set. Andrews defeated Aly at No. 1, 6-1, 6-0, and senior Ryan Bandy was right behind him at No. 2 with a victory over Flores, 6-2, 6-0. The match was sealed by sophomore Eric Schnurrenberger, who took down Shebshayevich at No. 6, 6-1, 6-2.
Freshman Eddy Covalschi defeated Henrique Tsukamoto at No. 5, 6-1, 6-4, and one court over, Hagar defeated Gonzalez in straight sets as well, 6-4, 6-1. The final match on the court was that of Monaghan, who triumphed over Soto in a tiebreaker, 6-3, 4-6, (10-6).
The Irish will have their senior day against Florida State at 11:30 a.m. on Sunday.
1. Greg Andrews (ND) def. Omar Aly (UM), 6-1, 6-0
2. Ryan Bandy (ND) def. Gabriel Flores (UM), 6-2, 6-0
3. Quentin Monaghan (ND) def. Diego Soto (UM), 6-3, 4-6, (10-6)
4. Josh Hagar (ND) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM), 6-4, 6-4
5. Eddy Covalschi (ND) def. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM), 6-1, 6-4
6. Eric Schnurrenberger (ND) def. Daniel Shebshayevich (UM), 6-1, 6-2
1. Omar Aly/Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) def. Billy Pecor/Alex Lawson (ND), 8-4
2. Greg Andrews/Josh Hagar (ND) def. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM), 8-4
3. Matt Dooley/Quentin Monaghan (ND) def. Daniel Shebshayevich/Bernard Tefel (UM), 8-5
--Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant