April 13, 2014
NOTRE DAME, Ind. --- The University of Notre Dame men’s tennis team finished its last home match of the regular season this evening against Valparaiso. The Irish triumphed 6-1, moving to 17-8 on the season.
In doubles, senior Matt Dooley and junior Dougie Barnard fell to Charlie Emhardt and Jeffrey Schorsch at No. 2, 8-4. The No. 1 team of senior Billy Pecor and sophomore Alex Lawson defeated Dave Bacalla and Daniel Oakes, 8-4. Sophomores Nicolas Montoya and Kenny Sabacinski clinched the point for the Irish, besting Lucas Waak and Kyle Dunn, 6-4.
In singles, sophomore Quentin Monaghan defeated Bacalla at No. 2, 6-1, 6-4. Lawson fell at No. 4 to Emhardt, 6-3, 7-5. Junior Wyatt McCoy beat Michael Savaglio, 6-1, 6-4, putting the Irish up 3-1. Montoya clinched the match for Notre Dame with his 6-3, 6-3 victory over Brian Hickey at No. 6 singles.
Andrews played an incredible match at No. 1 singles. After dropping the first set to Schorsch, 6-0, Andrews came back to win it all, 0-6, 6-2, 6-2. Sabacinski’s match was the last one on the court, and he defeated Kyle Dunn at No. 5 in three sets, 7-5, 0-6, 6-4.
Notre Dame only has one regular season match left before the ACC Championship—the team will travel to play Boston College Saturday, April 19 at 1 p.m.
1. Greg Andrews (ND) def. Jeffrey Schorsch (VAL), 0-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Quentin Monaghan (ND) def. Dave Bacalla (VAL), 6-1, 6-4
3. Wyatt McCoy (ND) def. Michael Savaglio (VAL), 6-1, 6-4
4. Charlie Emhardt (VAL) def. Alex Lawson (ND), 6-3, 7-5
5. Kenneth Sabacinski (ND) def. Kyle Dunn (VAL), 7-5, 0-6, 6-4
6. Nicolas Montoya (ND) def. Brian Hickey (VAL), 6-3, 6-3
1. Alex Lawson/Billy Pecor (ND) def. Dave Bacalla/Daniel Oakes (VAL), 8-4
2. Charlie Emhardt/Jeffrey Schorsch (VAL) def. Matt Dooley/Dougie Barnard (ND), 8-4
3. Nicolas Montoya/Kenneth Sabacinski (ND) def. Lucas Waak/Kyle Dunn (VAL), 8-4
--Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant