April 19, 2013
#28 Notre Dame 4, St. John's 0
NOTRE DAME, Ind. -
The No. 1 seeded University of Notre Dame men's tennis team captured its first victory of the 2013 BIG EAST Men's Tennis Championship with a 4-0 sweep of No. 9 seeded St. John's Friday morning inside the Eck Tennis Pavilion.
With the win the Irish (17-7) advance to the semifinal round where they will play No. 4 Marquette, who swept No. 5 Georgetown, 4-0, Friday afternoon. The match will be held at 9 a.m. Saturday.
The Irish will carry a seven-match winning streak into Saturday's contest.
After claiming the doubles portion of the match and taking a 1-0 lead, the Irish looked to continue their success as they headed into the singles competition.
Playing at the No. 5 singles spot, Wyatt McCoy captured the first singles victory for the Irish with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Mark Mozer. Quentin Monaghan extended the Irish lead to 3-0 after his 6-2, 6-2 victory on court number two. The contest was concluded after Blas Moros closed out a 6-0, 6-4 win on court three over Hugo Morth.
The Irish claimed the doubles point of the dual match with wins on courts one and three. The number three pairing of Michael Moore and Monaghan secured the first doubles win with a decisive 8-2 victory over Every and Mozer.
Notre Dame's number one doubles pairing of Billy Pecor and Alex Lawson took advantage of an initial 4-1 lead to hold off the Red Storm's number one pairing of Lampa and Mihai with a final score of 8-5. With the doubles point secured, the number two doubles match was abandoned with Talmadge and Andrews trailing 4-6 to Mladenov and Morth.
No. 1 Notre Dame 4, No. 9 St. John's 0
1. Greg Andrews vs. Vasko Mladenov, 6-3, 4-6, 2-0, unfinished
2. Quentin Monaghan def. Valentin Mihai, 6-2, 6-2
3. Blas Moros def. Hugo Morth, 6-0, 6-4
4. Billy Pecor vs. Mike Lampa, 6-4, 6-1, unfinished
5. Wyatt McCoy def. Mark Mozer, 6-4, 6-1
6. Michael Moore vs. Michael-John Every, 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
1. Billy Pecor / Alex Lawson def. Mike Lampa / Valentin Mihai, 8-5
2. Vasko Mladenov / Hugo Morth vs. Spencer Talmadge / Greg Andrews, 6-4, unfinished
3. Michael Moore / Quentin Monaghan def. Michael-John Every / Mark Mozer, 8-2
Notre Dame: 17-7; National ranking #28
St. John's: 3-15
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 1); Singles (5, 2, 3)